February 8 Update

Quick easy question I think. I get the new style report whilst using XERT EBC app on my phone but not when I am outside riding with my Garmin 530. Is that the reason why? I need to use XERT EBC app or perhaps the XERT player on the Garmin 530?

Check that Garmin isn’t sending the ride directly to Strava. If the ride goes straight from Garmin to Strava, we can’t add the summary info. In order to get the report, you need to verify that the ride goes from Garmin to Xert and then Xert to Strava (with the summary information)!

1 Like

The set up guide came after the Program page. The guide was meant to help get things set up. We’re looking into replacing the Program page but there is some work left like implementing the Settings capabilies into the set up guide. The Program page provides a lot more flexibilty too.

Forecast AI is new and have not yet documented it fully or provided tutorials on how to use it yet. Once we finish the feature and announce it formally, we’ll be adding help guides and videos. For the moment, feel free to ask questions here and we’ll do our best to help.

Xert is a new way of looking at fitness and there’s really not a lot of data that you need to understand. It’s the concepts, particularly if you come from mindset of the only thing in the world is FTP, that take some thought. But after giving it some thought, it actually all makes sense. If you passed high school math, you should get it and find it pretty compelling and invaluable to train with.

Thanks @ManofSteele . I got the same answer from FB and implemented the changes and all works as expected now. Thank you

1 Like

Select the Program dialog box and start playing with the numbers by watching the Target Training Load entries in lower right (low, high, peak strain).
For example, change the Specificity between Polar, Mixed, and Pure and wait a second for the recalculation to occur.
If a Goal, you can also watch the TTL changes when you switch Focus type or raise/lower the Focus Power number.
If an Event, watch changes when you raise/lower the XSS value.
IOW an exercise demonstrating how low, high, peak strain distribution changes depending on target.

I’m not sure watts/kg is a viable target option since that’s a combination of power curve improvements and weight loss. :smiley:

Check out my Onboarding post if you haven’t already.
I consider the Setup Guide as a Beta wizard that populates the Program dialog box where you can further tweak the settings and experiment.

Welcome aboard. :slight_smile:

I’m going to disagree with this statement pretty strongly. I’m an engineer; I passed pretty advanced math and statistics and after studying Xert, doing quite a bit of reading, and watching most of the videos I can find, I think I understand enough to get started. I’m a data geek and actually love all of the detail, all the buttons, etc.

At work we use analysis software from multiple vendors to perform pretty complex analysis. One software we use is written by a German company. It’s complex, it has options for everything you can think of and while it takes a while to learn, it has a high level of capability. When we were creating a tool for a more general population of users to collect data, we created a stripped down tool to make it easy for them to use and even then some of them complain it is too complicated. The tool collects data in a format that we can then use to do deeper analysis but we tried to make initial use as simple as possible.

Xert reminds me of the German software. Engineers, scientists, and data geeks will love all that complexity. It almost needs an “easy” button that strips all of that complexity down to its simplest terms and makes things simpler to use. Have options to dig into all that data for people that want more detail. With the current setup my guess is it turns off a lot of the potential user base before they can get the hang of it.

I did my first xert workout tonight (Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds - it was surprisingly tough for a low intensity workout). I dual recorded it with my Garmin just in case it didn’t push over to Garmin and I’m glad I did. I have my account turned on to push to Garmin and Strava but it never pushed over. It showed up in Xert multiple times as the Xert workout, the activity I recorded on my Garmin, and the copy Garmin pushed to Strava (the Garmin and Strava versions show zero miles instead of the 25.5 miles from Xert). I’ll eventually figure it out but it isn’t intuitive.

There are multiple great videos that explain the how and why the Xert algorithm works but not a really great video (at least not that I found) that explains how to start a workout, work through it, save it, and then push it to Garmin and Strava. A series of 5 minute how-to videos would be helpful to a bunch of your potential user base. Like the ones Man-of-Steele did a couple of years ago but “dumbed down” a couple of notches.

Sorry for the long post and don’t intend to come off as negative - so far I think this is a great tool in need of simplification if it is to be adopted by a wider user base.

1 Like

I read your post and found it to be quite helpful. I appreciate the time you put in to help spread your knowledge.

Garmin Connect is a walled garden. They don’t allow third-parties to push rides/activities there unlike Strava. They’ve implemented connectivity for some but it’s not an open API.

We’ve been hearing since we started that the system needs to be dumbed-down. While that may seem obvious to do, the execution of it on a large scale would require a massive investment. Xert disrupts the the entire endurance fitness analytics space. We’ve decided to keep our budget small rather than take on the risk of trying to shoot the elephant. Whereas you can learn about FTP and Zones from thousands of articles and videos, written/produced by hundreds of authors, your source for Xert knowledge is here written by a few folks with help from our user community, some like @ridgerider2 that bring a invaluable help to everyone. We have a great community and our prospects for what is possible far exceeds what we can even imagine. Once there’s enough scale, expect things to get simpler, information to spread more broadly and the general know-how more widely understood.

Luckily we’ve grown enough now to start sponsoring research, something that I saw an important stage in our evolution. Our new concepts and methods are being copied by the other players and that’s a good sign that we’ve been right all along. We have more market disrupting additions to make to our system and from there we see a path to mainstream adoption.

With all that said, we certainly could benefit by creating how-to videos. We have made them in the past only to have them becoming obsolete when we add/change them with new features. We don’t have a video production staff that can keep up with all the additions and changes we make to the software.

2 Likes

I figured out i needed to view the workout afterward and then push the “view in Strava” button to push it over there. Sounds like i will need to dual record or use the Garmin Edge player to get the activities into the Garmin “walled garden”. If i play it using the Garmin Edge player, can i simultaneously view the workout on the Android app and/or my laptop?

I do guess i will eventually want to become profecient running it off of the Edge for outdoor workouts. The ability to track and make more use of outdoor work is to me another appealing feature of Xert. Most other training apps are setup to pretty much focus only on indoor training. Who wants to ride a trainer indoors on a nice day?

Absolutely correct, I was referring to 8 min watts. Not w/kg.

Do you think it is possible to have an open-ended watt target but just sliders for weekly hours and a desired ramp rate?

Now this morning I have a different screen in Strava.
What is happening here. No totaal xxs

Another example. Same ride another day

The Total XXS is 9, or not? Xert change the Strava summary

The first screen is perfect. But the second one from this morning missing this. No totaal xxs

The descriptions came from Strava. On Xert, simply review the XSS on the activity card (should be to the right of the section you snipped).

ⓧⓔⓡⓣ 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝗲𝗰𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗔𝗜 𝗧𝗿𝗮𝗶𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗦𝘂𝗺𝗺𝗮𝗿𝘆 ════
● Totals: :white_check_mark: 268𝗑𝗌𝗌 :large_blue_circle: 235 :yellow_circle: 22.7 :red_circle: 10.6
● Relative Power: 172𝗐𝖺𝗍𝗍𝗌
● Difficulty: ◆◆◆ - 76
● Calories: 2883 ● Fat: 137g ● Carbs: 372g

This field I am missing in Strava. My daily Rides to my work I register with my Garmin- Xert- Strava. Never Strava - Xert

@xertedbrain @ManofSteele is something like this possible?

What should be kept as the target if you fall behind the plan?

This is what I would expect:

Hours + Ramp = Predicted watts at end of period. If I fall behind on either hours or ramp rate, the predicted End Watts would fall. (Watts per 8 minutes or whatever)

1 Like