Relative power in strava summary no thank you

I do not want relative power in my strava summary. First of all the algorithm makes little sense to me because every single ride I do, the relative power is lower than average power with zeros. No thank you guys.

Can we get back equiv power in the strava summaries please

Relative power is a number that’s going to be lower than your average if you’re heavier than 75kgs and higher if you’re lighter than 75kgs. It’s sort of like W/kg but it uses watts instead.

We had thought that those heavier than 75kgs may prefer not to see it since it isn’t flattering. But in a group ride scenario, it allows power from each rider to be compared independent of their weight so your 55kg skinny rider and 90kg Clydesdale should have similar relative power. In this group ride scenario, it is very valuable as it highlights whether you’re working with good data, for example. Also highlights if your bike or clothing might be creating higher than average CdA. I use it a lot for the latter.

I’m sure this took a lot of work to make this new data algorithm but it is 100% meaningless for me. I am not trying to compare my power to others, and will not be paying attention to it.

So can the strava summary be edited or get equivalent power back, or will I have to edit the summary for each and every ride.

It isn’t that it isn’t flattering, it is a metric lots of folks will disregard as meaningless, me included. It makes no sense to have a comparative metric that is less than avg power without zeros. Sorry but I just have no use for it.

So only show it for athletes that are less than 75kg since it’ll be higher for them? :wink:

It’s a new concept so might take a bit of getting used to. A lower number relative to others is actually a good thing to have. It can mean you’ve got better pack-riding skills since you can stay in the draft better. Or you might just have a better riding position. Maybe it’s your tires/wheels. If you’re riding solo, it has less value. We can think about only showing if it’s a group ride but that’s a bit tricky since we likely won’t know that when the activity gets processed.

1 Like

Wouldn’t this metric really only have value to other Xert users in the same group?

(edit)
Yes and no. It is most beneficial to everyone when you ride with other Xert athletes. Riding with one other user is usually enough but with more you can get a better sense since things even out more and if you have lower numbers you know you’re riding smarter.

So getting back to the question:

maybe it would be a cool feature addition to be able to tune what is in the strava summary

2 Likes

On the other hand, in my account after the change of the summary exported to Strava, there was and still is no “Relative power” (in the old version of the summary it was XEP).

I’m a lightweight athlete (57kg) with a low height if that matters at all - as you have exchanged opinions on this matter here.

In the profile I do not find any switch or option for this parameter to be exported. Where is the problem?

Greetings
Artur

I don’t think it appears for inside rides

1 Like

Given the use case described here, I’d rather not see it either irrespective of my weight.
So, for example, i go climb a mountain on my MTB, or go ride some hills on my road bike - what does this tell me?
(and if it does tell me something then cool (I’m still figuring out what data points to be looking at and this thread has helped me understand why I didn’t ‘get’ this one)

Would you feel the same about having W/kg on the summary @cycleanalyzecoaching @scoobmw2 ?

2 Likes

Relative Power requires elevation data.

2 Likes

@xertedbrain hey Armando.
w/kg … it’s not something I’d personally like added but if others would be keen then cool.
Where w/kg comes in list useful is on a chart if w/kg for each ride inside Xert, so a user definable chart that shows a limited number of durations and associated w/kg data (for me).

I don’t think in w/kg so no, not really. XEP instead. And I live in the Chicago area, which has only rolling hills.

Does it follow that “RelativePower” is not “XEP”?

regards
Artur

This is correct. Relative power will become a much more important metric when the XFAI Race option is released. More info then.

This is a helpful thread.

I’m not completely clear on the glossary now though.

So - XEP - is that simply average power during the workout (including zeros if you stop for lunch/toilet breaks) but with an acronym?

Relative power - relevant for road riding in groups where people’s re all using power meters and use Xert so that individual users can compare how much power they used to each other? (If so that sounds like one for different groups to me … I can’t even imagine a conversation such as that but that’s cool, there will be thousands that love it. I’m just trying to understand which numbers I care about.

All I’m looking for is average power (no including zeros during stops) and power at a few user definable time periods for my own month in month comparisons really.

Open activity details for a ride/workout and both Average (with stops/pauses) and XEP are shown in the table.
Select a HIT workout or moderate/difficult outdoor ride and the difference between the two will be most evident.
For a Relative Power (RP) example see this post.

Strava does their own thing with Weighted Avg Power.

Here’s an example from today. Luca is a bit heavier than Ryan and used up more calories, but their relative power was the same:

Mine was 17W higher likely because my weight is about 3kg too low on Xert (rougly accounted for about 7-10W … need to adjust that!). I also likely pulled the group a bit more on this ride.

Often, if your numbers a really far off, it might mean power meter data errors, especially if you get a breakthrough and are suspicious of it. Comparing RP with other riders in your group can help confirm that.