Xert EBC

Thanks I will try that …

Garmin has a 15% sale in effect today. That puts the RTL515 (BLE/ANT+) at $169USD from multiple vendors if anyone’s interested.

I bought mine (RTL515) 3 months ago, but didn’t have the chance to try it, since we’ve had a sh*tty Spring until now ! :roll_eyes:
But the plan was to use it with RideWithGPS, which is the best app’ for turn-by-turn navigation. Can’t wait to see how EBC manages that.

I don’t remember if I mentioned it here, but I quickly re-sold my RTL510 (as the same price I bought it), and got a RTL515 instead. In case I wouldn’t have been able to sell the RTL510, I was also thinking about getting a Viiiiva HRM to make the Ant+ <-> BT bridge.

From support@4iiii.com on 22 May –
Unfortunately, there is no support for radar passthrough and I do not have an ETA on when or if it will be supported. I have sent along your request to our engineering team so they know we have customers asking for this.

Bummer.

Oh, I got lucky. Twice. :sweat_smile:

I do not understand how you could ride to 5.5 hours outside without recharging the phone!

I use an old Android phone to do my indoor training and it uses approximately 15-20% battery for 1 hour duration. I have done 2h30 workouts with that phone (don’t remember the remaining battery level though). For your info, I keep the screen always on (auto dim 15 seconds).

Give successful experience while training indoor, I thought that this phone would work well for a bike computer and went for a 1h10m ride last weekend to test riding using Xert EBC.
After the ride, the battery remaining was less that 40% (more than double the power consumption compared to riding inside).

How can battery consumption be so different when inside VS outside?
Is there a way to tell Xert EBC to minimize battery usage for outdoor rides?

Any tips appreciated.

An external power pack connected to the phone.

1 Like

Thanks. I already thought of that. But since I can do a 2h30 workout inside that I could at least do the same duration ride outside without an external power pack…

I would like to know if there are Android or Xert EBC options that can help Xert EBC use less power?

As added clarification, my old Android does not have a smart card and can only access internet while at home or when I turn my other phone hotspot on. I haven’t tried riding outside while airplane mode is enabled but I do not see how this would explain the difference in power consumption between being inside/outside.

Thanks!

I have a king kong mini 2 and with a full charge it still has 50% battery remaining after 3 hours of riding outside with xert ebc running. If it’s an old phone your using it might be a battery capacity issue.

I thought maybe it is a battery issue but in that case, I think it would deplete as fast while riding indoor.
As mentioned above, I can do a 2h30 (and most probably 3h) workout without charging with the same phone, screen always on, auto-dim 15 seconds, wifi enabled…

I may buy a KKM2 eventually but since I already have a phone which seems suitable, I would prefer using it for now (less junk to throw away)…

I wouldn’t recommend the kk2 for outside use as it’s useless in the rain. It’s not waterproof.

Hmmm, the KKM2 is not waterproof?
From what I have read, it can’t be immersed into water but it is waterproof (rain, coffee and tea as mentioned in Cubot store).

Can you try splashing water on yours? :wink: Just joking…

Maybe by useless, you actually meant that the touch screen does not work while being wet. Is that what you meant? Or that you do not trust that water will not enter it if riding in the rain?

Thanks!

GPS does end up eating quite a bit of battery, compared to riding indoors :frowning:

There are some dual purpose Bike Light/external battery packs that can be useful for extending your existing device’s battery life.

There’s a previous post on here where someone’s kkm2 was ruined out in the rain. It does not have waterproof ratings.

Here you go…

As mentioned above - GNSS (GPS) is the main culprit. It uses a lot of battery

OK thanks! This means that I will have to find a power pack…

Thanks for the info and for the link…

As for riding in the rain, my old Android phone has IPX rating, so it is better than the KKM2, when attached to a power pack!!!
Thanks all for sharing your ideas…

1 Like

Started out with XM on a refurbished Palm ($99USD) but I wouldn’t trust it for more than 90 minutes outdoors (gets ~2 hrs indoors).
With a sizeable battery pack (6000mAh) connected it’s currently my long ride choice with EBC.
See: Hammerhead Karoo 2 - General - Xert Community Forum (xertonline.com)
Otherwise I have a KKM2 for most fair weather rides.

I prefer a smaller screen but if I had to start over this 5" screen phone (also $99USD) looks impressive spec-wise (rugged and waterproof) but I have no experience with the brand (reviews are mixed but may be fine as a dedicated BC) –
4000mAh 8MP Camera Rugged Phone Ulefone Armor X6 with Quad-core Processor 2GB+16GB

1 Like