Xert EBC

An update will resolve this :slight_smile:

EDIT: Just tested this and it worked. Maybe make sure you’re running the latest version.

2 Likes

Did I miss something, a setting, because I don’t have the option to add the TTE and TTR fields on my screen !? I’d like to use Xert EBC for my outdoor rides (you know, to use the focus/duration/TTE/TTR fields to ride freely, with no specific workout), but I only have access to that feature in the original Xert app.

Oh, and I take the opportunity to ask for another feature to be added: would it be possible to have a button to start/end a lap/interval/segment, where we would get the time and average power during that lap ? Again, only for free rides, where we can decide at any point of time to go for an interval. You know, when you just want to push X watts for the next Y minutes…

TTE and TTR as well as the ability to reset average and max values are in the pipeline of features to come.

2 Likes

Thank you. I use an iPhone and normally used to being notified there is an update available.

@ridgerider2 Yes please, +1 for a Rainbow 101. e.g. the blog post is a good intro but doesn’t go into the colours or triangles and I couldn’t find these documented. And then there is nuance - based on trial and error it seems the white triangle is instant power and the number lags that, averaged over 3s or something.

Yet another disappointing outside Ride with xert ebc and my king kong mini 2. Today’s problem was with the average speed field that I have selected. I have auto pause on. I needed to stop for a toilet break. I observed that my average speed was showing 14.6mph and that the timer had paused. After about 60sec or so I started riding again only to see the average speed now said 13.3mph. To say I was pissed at this point would be fair. So I arrived home with the app showing an average speed of 13.9mph. BUT when the ride uploaded to strava my average speed was 14.5mph. Make what you want out of this as the app appears to do the same. Very disappointing :disappointed:

Armando responded to this in past, it has to do with the basis of how they do their calculations. I agree it is not necessary to have average speed screwed up because other aspects of their algorithm require that all time be accounted for but that is their thing. I as well felt it could be two readings one as avg duration speed and avg moving speed… it is just math and not that hard to implement one would think. So for now because of their math I ignore the avg speed because I see it other places.

What??? What’s the point in providing an average speed field if its not displaying the average speed? I’m beginning to regret buying the kk mini 2 now as ebc seems to be problematic.

There’s two ways of thought on what average speed should be.
One is the let’s say casual people speed and distance measuring where the system is only measuring when the bike is moving, like the old mechanical bike ‘computers’ did. And thus it would always show your average moving speed not counting breaks. That’s what we are used to, most of us at least.
The other is the race speed. Where the time you are not moving counts as 0 speed and draws down your average since your opponents would not stop and wait for you.
And then there is the measuring of heart rate and power and calculating of fatigue and recovery that needs a continuous recording to work. While you are not moving you are recovering. So this one is similar to the race way of viewing but with another reason. It tries to keep tabs on your body and its state and there is no ‘stop’ or ‘break’ there.

2 Likes

If this is the case then xert ebc is of no use me and I will be very disappointed. Why have the option to enable/disable autopause. What absolute nonsense.

Average speed function is there but frankly it’s not the highest priority item since it has no bearing on your fitness. It should work though. Send it into support and we’ll have a look. Complaining about it publicly isn’t constructive. Cheers.

4 Likes

I agree, the autopause setting should change the average speed from average ‘race’ speed to average ‘moving’ speed. I wasn’t trying to say you are wrong to expect it I was just trying to explain both sides of the discussion.
It works like that in Garmin units for example. I use it like this: I have an Edge bike unit with a large screen on my handlebars that I set to autopause on to have average moving speed like I’m used to while driving. I discard that recording afterwards. Because I also have a Forerunner watch that I use to record everything I do (walking, running, swimming, VR games, whatever) and that one is set to autopause off to have an accurate and complete recording and calculation of heart rate and HRV and so on data for the Firstbeat algorithms to work their magic to find out what my body is up to, including breaks. And that’s fed into Xert as well so Xert can after the fact use the data to find out if I had a breakthrough and how much XSS the whole activity was and show me all the fancy colored charts and stuff.
Garmin connect shows both kinds of average speed after the ride with autopause off setting, it is easy to calculate so I don’t see the problem in providing it in EBC on the fly as well, just count the time not moving (much) or don’t.
The only slight problem I see is to define what is moving and what is standing. In a Garmin unit you can set a speed for cut off for auto pause I think. Sporttracks did it like that as well, everything under 2 kph is standing for example to account for GPS drift. If there is a speed sensor connected this is not a problem of course, they simply work in knowing if the bike is moving or not. Come to think about it a power meter should work for that purpose the same, they should give a clear reading of 0 once you are off the bike at least. Maybe not for stops at a red light where you are balancing on the bike waiting for the green. There are some edge cases where it is difficult to determine.

What do you mean it isn’t constructive? I’m entitled to voice my thought on this forum. I’m very disappointed with this response from you.

@xertedbrain

You can post what you feel but folks here can’t fix it. Need to send this stuff to support and give us an opportunity to fix it. That’s what meant as constructive. Remember this is a very new app and likely has a some stuff that needs to be fixed.

3 Likes

A new app that is not in beta but in full release. To have something such as average speed not working correctly is beyond me. Is this not a fundamental?

It is fundamental. Could be some GPS error on your KKM that says that you’re moving even if you’re stopped. Hard to know until we troubleshoot. Hence, reach out to support. They can help you.

1 Like

I have raised a support ticket.

Yeah. We talk about auto-pause in our podcasts. Personally I don’t think auto-pause should be an option because you can game it and it’s not a real useful feature … but I got overruled since it’s something all head units do. :frowning:

Eventually, I’d like to do something better (use fatigue to determine when a rider is recovering in determining whether to count the stop) but it needs a bit more math. Doing things like normalizing power data doesn’t really work well and not something you can do with speed. Average cadence and HR are entirely different things too! One stops frequently when moving and other doesn’t stop even when you’re not moving!

I guess to me why is it either or ? why can it not just be 2 metrics one the way you see it at Xert, ie avg is all time from start to finish regardless of movement, basic simple math, and the other one that Garmin, Strava and virtually everyone else does as moving time avg. I truly fail to see why that is difficult? I realize the reasons for your point of view but there are significant reason on the user side as well. That is why it is being so hotly discussed here. I could care less I can see the avg speed in so many other places the one on Xert is just not a useful metric for my purposes so I ignore it.

We’re talking about two different things.
Users expect a head unit display to show avg speed as @oldcyclist65 describes.
@xertedbrain concurs it should work that way so the best course is to report it as a bug.
Any fix isn’t going to prevent Xert from analyzing activities like they normally do, but EBC should have parity with other head units in regard to displaying avg speed with auto-pause enabled.