Workout integration with Wahoo

I’m very sure this has been asked for already, but I can’t stress how important it is. It’s fine to use your phone on the trainer, but when a workout is prescribed on the bike I wouldn’t want to have the phone on my handlebar. Yes, you can export the file and import it separately, but TrainingPeaks does it automagically, I turn on my Wahoo and the workout is there.
I can’t imagine their API to bee to challenging and as I said TP and Today’sPlan already do it.
Not talking about “smart workouts”, that would be sweet, but I understand the limitations of Wahoo system, but workouts (and segment hunter) would be great.
Please.
Thanks!

5 Likes

Hi Marco,

This is something that we’d like to offer to our Wahoo users, but we suspect that they are using an alternate format of TCX files for their system. The tcx files exported by our workout designer work fine with Garmin, but get denied from TP and Wahoo.

1 Like

Have you considered getting in touch with them? they’re very reasonable folks…

We are often in touch with Wahoo on various opportunities but unfortunately cannot comment on or commit to anything at this time.

2 Likes

Hi Armando,

can you comment at this time? :slight_smile:
I’m aware of your developer kit and I did send a request to wahoo. For me, it’s not a question of switching to TR or SUF, it’s a question of switching to garmin (although I’d hate that, “just” to have map and focus)
However, can you comment on if wahoo will in the foreseeable future integrate xert data and more important, allow pushing workouts? Outdoor season 2021? Is the userbase of TR really that big?

2 Likes

Yes TR’s user base is significantly bigger. And Wahoo purchased Sufferfest so it’s likely that they are focusing on integrating with that platform right now. So as much as I would love to see Xert integration (I am a reluctant Garmin user myself) I don’t see it happening unless Wahoo introduces some sort of ConnectIQ style open functionality.

1 Like

The format of the Wahoo .plan file has been “decoded”. This is discussed here and here.

It would be great if someone at Xert could work to make that a downloadable filetype. I am willing to spend some time on it as well.

1 Like

Would also MUCH prefer to use my Wahoo over Garmin fwiw.

5 Likes

Same here.

1 Like

+1 (Wahoo Elemnt user)

2 Likes

+2 Wahoo user here!

1 Like

Thank you very much for sharing this, I’ve been looking for this!

Clearly lots of Wahooligans here (or should I say Garmin is not that popular after all)
Sure Wahoo acquired Sufferfest, but for now they seem entirely focused on indoor workouts.
AND they already have the functionality to import workouts. I doubt there is a line of sight to implement anything similar to ConnectIQ, but workout export should be a done deal.
Wahoo is not stupid and understand that they will lose Xert customers to Garmin (more than gain in Sufferfest)
Personally I’m now using the Xert Android app on Karoo and pretty happy with it, at least for workouts.
It weighs like a brick so probably won’t use it for racing anyway.

1 Like

Also interesting to note I started this thread a year ago: frankly I don’t buy the discrepancies with the tax files. It can’t be that hard of an issue to solve in the file translation.
Sure we would lose the real time breakthrough and MPA stuff, but as long as the file is generated with recent signatures is probably the best you can do.
(and while I’m at it I will also pitch once again the workout export to Zwift :wink:

Also, I’m currently using the Sufferfest and it is ridiculous that they don’t allow to export their own workouts to the Wahoo units…

2 Likes

Tacx is now a Garmin subsidiary, but you cannot connect your Tacx account to Garmin and have to manually upload your (Tacx app) workouts, after downloading the TCX file from the cloud…

These companies are not very smart about these seemingly easy to avoid user nuisances.

2 Likes

I have the same problem. I wrote two times to wahoo, but nothing news…

I added a method to get xert workouts on your wahoo on the Facebook group

3 Likes

I just want to say that this is insane and no one should go thru this number of steps to get a workout on their bike computer…
Let me try…

Completely agree that’s it’s crazy that they’ve made it this hard, but to be fair once you have all the accounts set up it’s actually not too bad. I’ve even done it on my phone whilst out on the bike before

Do you know if there is a different format for the power courses, like the ones generated by Best Bike Split? those have a route and a power target for each section of the route, similar to the Garmin virtual partner.

I actually tested this and seems to work nicely.
Now the question really is why can’t XERT export directly into TP without those intermediate steps?

2 Likes