Training to a goal / training gauge / weekly target

Hi, new user here, I’m struggling a bit to use work with the training advisor when working to a goal

• weeks start on a monday when looking at the weekly progression stats. There I can see my ride time and effort for the week so far. but they don’t align with my training advisor time (that is wedneday to wed), so I can’t really use this to see where I am against my weekly progression
  • the date i entered for my goal is on a wesneyday in may, so my training advisor is plotting out a progressive growth path. I’m currently approaching the end of my base period, eg this week I need to do 7hours wed to wed. It doesn’t say how many xss I should do over those hours (other than in base I’m mainly to do endurance,which by default is low XSSR), so i could calculate back manually how many of my hours i did last wed-to-today, but i don’t really know how many xss I am still due, other then seeing I have a small surplus (XSS 44) today.
  • the training gauge tells me what I 'm recommended to do today in terms of XSS deficit/surplus
  • however i don’t know where I am vs my 7h for the week, nor where I am with my XSS for the week.
  • I can’t change the start of week from standard sunday to eg wed to align with my goal, so the stats would align, giving me a quick view where I’m at with my time or XSS for this week

so how do you think a few days ahead. Let’s say tomorrow I can’t ride, today I feel a little tired. and i’d like to decide between a recovery today+endurance on wed, vs taking today and tomorrow off to freshen up extra, so I can doa hard session on wed - even in base period, i prefer to have some anaerobic as well - less than in a later stage, but i’m not comfortable only doing low effort rides for several weeks on a row.

Finally, i’m missing a long hill climb profile: there is the climber, but that is 10min power, where I will be doing 1h climbs. I therefore chose GC as a catch-all profile, and aside from adding some aerobic time, i also add extra slope sessions, either as separate workouts, or by adding 30min slope climbs at the back of an endurance workout, with a goal of having a good hour of pure endurance before doing some hills. But between the anaerobic and the slope additions, i’m getting the sensation xert is helping me more as a rear mirror view on what i did so far then as a guide on how to get to my goal

I’ve not been using Xert for very long (since about the second week of January) and this was something I struggled with initially - the fact that the week-week dates don’t align in the planner/weekly stats & the training hours needed per week within your training tab.
But, I don’t think it really matters once you get used to using Xert regularly. If you have a routine of workouts that keep you near your target, then it starts to make more sense as time goes on.

One thing I do, if I am not sure what workouts to do on certain days is to plan out different scenarios in the planner. You can add workouts for the next week in the planner & see how it affects things. You can then remove them & try a different combination.
Click on the day you want to add a workout for, change the workout time at the top to when you will actually perform the workout & you can then filter for the type of workout (effort, duration etc). When you find something suitable, then save it to the plan. You can do this for a week or so, and then when you click on each day, it will show you where your fitness needle sits. The planner (weekly stats) will also update to a show your projected hours of workout based on the planned workouts.

For example - this is my planner for this week. I did the Feeling This - 60 workout this morning:

and this is how my training needle looks now (I did a 90km ride outside yesterday which is why I’m showing as red - very tired.)

You can see in the planner image I have the Iron Man - 120 scheduled in for Wed (it’s at 1900) and this is how my training needle will look after that session (it’s showing the status as of 23:59 - so after I have done that workout at 1900)

If I add no more workouts and select Saturday, then you can see that the needle has dropped almost to the ‘falling behind’ zone.

You can also see in my weekly stats that even though I have only completed one hour long workout (this morning), it is showing 3 hours for the week because I have 2 hours planned in on Wednesday.

3 Likes

Xert is more flexible than a number to chase down from week to week.
Your XSS goal for each day is actually a range beginning with a deficit/surplus number (relative to Noon position of the needle) compared to what you have done in recent past on same day of the week.

The ATP slider happens to work backwards from your TED. If that date falls on a Monday, then the week-to-week table will match. But the point is it doesn’t matter. If your TED falls on a Wed the slider shows estimated hours/week Wed to Wed so you can drag the slider and note projected changes moving forward. However, you never have to close an hourly or XSS deficit gap by a particular day of the week. While many of us do that by habit it’s the rolling weighted average that matters. As long as the Training Pacer needle is pointing up between 11am-1pm position you are doing fine.

The Planner Weekly Stats provide a means to track your week-to-week changes with a traditional Mon-Sun tally. XATA, however, is continuously analyzing your activities hour by hour and day to day, predicting form changes based upon strain intensities of your activities and gauging your XSS requirement to meet your current IR setting.

The Pacer Needle reflects a weighted moving average XSS over the last 7 days. It is not based on a start/end day of the week. Day to day variability depends on how you distribute your training load each week. If you establish a weekly pattern, XATA will reflect that. I.e., advice today considers same day of week in recent past. However, you are free to mix things up as your schedule allows or as your needs change. For example, more or less time to train today or take an extra rest day or go with some shorter sessions this week with a long ride on the weekend. Or as you wish to do – ride some high intensity once a week while in Base phase. XATA will adapt to whatever you decide to do.

As far as using the Planner, @me96kka’s example is a good one. Also see this post –
Ad rest for regular "free" outdoors workout - #6 by ChopStick

This section of the Academy I3 video explains how deficit/surplus and form work with the Planner and how the Planner is designed to be used as a what-if-I-do-this tool.
Episode I3 - Mastering Xert - Improve - The Adaptive Training Advisor - YouTube

1 Like

I don’t keep track day-to-day as my office time is not fixed weekly. So, this monday might be off but next monday will need to work long hours.

So, i just use weekly XSS. And my Sat and Sun outdoor ride will usually add up half the weekly XSS. So, i can easily plan Mon to Fri workout to clear the remainder XSS.

1 Like