New freshness algorithm freshness feedback vs recovery demands

I don’t know if this is a valid way to tune the RD slider but here’s what I did while playing with it a couple weeks ago.
First, I slammed the slider to the right (max recovery), saved, closed Goals then added a hard HIIT activity beyond my current capabilities. :slight_smile: Example:

That setting had me in red the next day (would definitely need a rest day) then yellow for 4 days (endurance only) before detraining (brown) if I didn’t ride before then.
Next, I compared the gradient at halfway back to middle position on the slider.

That’s not enough recovery as that workout would have drained me for more than one day, so I moved the slider halfway back to rightmost position.
That looked about right recovery-wise but I will judge the results over time and tweak again as necessary. I imagine the RD slider will come in handy during the season if I start to feel stretched from high TL. YMMV

3 Likes

Sounds like what I did today. The nice thing is you can have it open and adjust as you’re looking at the Planner and see the effect. Does seem reasonable that it’s something you’ll want to revisit as your fitness changes, but I wonder if as your fitness improves you’d expect the same work to keep you less yelllow/red anyway, so maybe it takes care of itself.

A good thread. Going off what Armando said, “can also be transient where it might be left at one point and right another during the year,” it sounds reasonable to use the Recovery Slider for things that are life situations, ie age, general recovery, business periods with work / kids / stress, period of sickness that would dictate a greater need for recovery from any given workout. The freshness feedback to relate how you feel in one-off situations or the following day from the previous days workout - trying to keep the recovery slider factors separate from that determination (as long as your have the recovery slider in the appropriate position).

So times when I’m able to ‘get away’ from the family and go somewhere with much less responsibilities, I could move the recovery slider a lot more to the left, and then back to the right when I get home.

Or is this putting too many changing measurement in the system, and the recovery slider is meant to be relatively very static once it is properly set? And to instead do those things and account for those situations with freshness feedback?

I don’t think you need to manage your Recovery Demands slider. It should almost always be a set once and leave. The main benefit is to see how your recovery after a ride might look like for planning. The FF slider is for day-to-day but it’s still a bit of a fudge if you ask me. If I’m tired from losing a night’s sleep, for example, I can slide the FF slider to the left to change the advice. Knowing me, I’d slide it to the left until I got the results I wanted. So now I just filter/search and pick something I want to do, normally a “blue” Endurance workout if I’m not feeling up for something more difficult with XSS that allows me to keep my progression going.

3 Likes

Hopefully this is related. I dropped these 3 workouts in as examples of what I’d see as pretty tough, but pure Endurance. Should I stay “blue” after this work?

You are probably not blue, see here:

Interesting. If you tweak the workout to 60 minute MMP, instead of 100% of TP, it does go red after day 2, but in the way you demonstrated, where it looks blue again on day 3. Keeping it on 100% of TP (lower wattage, for me anyway), it doesn’t go red between days either. Here’s what it looks like on the harder version.

As it works now, every ride that has high or peak stress has to have low stress as well. Why doesn’t the inverse apply too? What I mean is, with an Endurance ride, the closer it gets to TP, shouldn’t there by a bit of high stress being added?

I think the best/most accurate way to see the stress level now is to adjust the time in Add Activity screen.

Isn’t High XSS only generated when the power is above TP? You should be able to see that in the workout designer.

Kind of torn here … I too noticed endless blue since the change and I am being recommended harder training than in past, and every day, because of that. That said l, I was basically able to complete them and they are all at least a star or more higher than my current status. My signature does seem to be correct.

When I adjusted the recovery status to halfway up, I am getting a day or so of yellow after these planned sessions which kind of lines up how I think I should feel.

So… What to do? Leave as default and risk burning up soon? Or move it up to where I think it should be?

Note that in the past it would work differently for people depending on their training status. You may have been one of those that the saw it work well based on your feelings and training loads. With this release, it may not be the same by default but you should be able adjust the slider and get similar (if not better results).

Did you change anything regarding the freshness model over the weekend?
I could swear my planner was blue/green until yesterday even while having the recovery demands slider to the far right.
Just now I noticed it switched to a lot of yellow/red, even retrospectively, which feels much more correct given my slider position.

On Thursday, a fix was put in to not to apply Freshness Feedback on the advice shown on the left other than today. This should not have affected the gradients and only affected what was shown on the advice panel.

I guess I’m trying to find the right balance, I don’t want to push myself into overtraining, I also don’t want to under train. I did a pretty tough week last week and adjusted the slider until the coloring for the past week looked about how I felt. I guess I’ll see what it does in the coming coming weeks.

1 Like

Great discussion. One possible bug that has me confused is that training status doesn’t seem to get updated in the “Planner” tab at the same time as the “Training” tab. I’ve often seen, after a hard ride, that the Training tab has me properly as yellow or red but on the Planner I’m still in the blue. Later in the day the Planner seems to catch up. And to add more confusion, in the Player’s Statistics window, Trainer Status and XSS Deficit appears to have a mind of its own.

Should there be a lag between the tabs for updates of Training Status? Is there any way to force them to get updated at the same time? Also, how are the Trainer Status and XSS Deficit fields calculated in the Player?

That should be fixed. The planner gradients will show more details for today.

As for the Remote Player, the status is before the ride and XSS Deficit should be realtime.

Glad to hear the planner status is fixed.

As for the Remote Player: Today, as often happens for me, it showed my status as Red (although it looks more pink to me) as soon as I started the ride, even though I was clearly in the Blue everywhere else. Also, it showed me with just a little Deficit, which turned into a significant Surplus by the end of the ride. In reality, AFTER the ride, I had a bit of XSS Deficit. It looked like the training status and XSS Deficit at the start of the ride was what it should have been at the end of the ride.

The logic may be including the planned XSS into the calculation of status and deficit. That should expire when you start the workout but may not be reflected in the remote player. Try refreshing it once started. Also check to see if the planned activity isn’t expired. Let support know if you find anything that doesn’t look right.

I’ll try refreshing the player. Thanks.

One other thing I noticed is that if a planned activity has expired it disappears from the planner. Often, when I want to do the workout later in the day, I don’t remember what it was, and then can’t find it again. It would be nice if the planner was a bit more forgiving and did not remove the workout till the end of the day.

If you want a planned activity to remain on the Planner the entire day, set the Start time to late in the evening.
The activity won’t disappear until it has expired unless another activity is recorded that overlaps the later activity.
It has always worked this way. Makes sense, no?

Sort of, but if you really think that you’re going to ride at 1PM then you want to see what’s best at 1PM, not 11PM. I suppose you can pick a ride for 1PM and then set it to 11PM, but then future rides you plan will be affected. I just want the planner to be more forgiving of procrastinators who do a few hours late.