Issue with Xert ZWO file downloads

Thanks for the update George.

Hopefully shouldn’t be too tough of a fix. From my (relatively limited) background with coding, it’s possible that a simple round() command should immediately address any potential issue with trailing decimals on the interval durations.

We leave the decimals in the file, as the interval duration (especially in the SMART - Target MPA intervals) is highly individualized to your fitness signature.

1 Like

If the same ZWO files worked with Fulgaz v3.0 then it appears they neglected to include code snippet from v3 that addresses the issue.

Does the BT connection for the ATV app only work for FTMS trainer control?
What’s the phone connection for?

@ManofSteele
@xertedbrain

Over on the Fulgaz FB group Eric Phalet (an xert user) was kind enough to provide me with an explanation of the fault and a workaround.

“George Anderson I should have mentioned that. Here is what you can do.
Short version: download the zwo file from xert, upload this file in zwofactory.com (just drag and drop it in the work-area), re-download from there, and this new file will import ok in fulgaz.
Tech version: the file from xert uses a different character set that fulgaz can not process. You can use Notepad++ or something like that to convert to a correct char set. Fulgaz offered me a few weeks of free riding when I pointed this out to them :+1:!”

2 Likes

IOW it sounds like Fulgaz could make a minor code change to fix their app to support ZWO files from any source so it works just like the same file does on Zwift itself. :thinking:

Now back to the alternative better way to run Xert workouts –
For kicks I ran Fulgaz today on my laptop connected to power and cadence on left crank meter and my Xert SMART workout for the day on XM Android connected to trainer and HR. Everything was connected via Bluetooth and it all ran fine.
Shouldn’t the Apple TV app work the same way or are you not using the Apple TV app to run Fulgaz? Is that why you need a phone connection?

Can see that works and may try that for Zwift, though does assume you have a separate power meter and that it transits via Bluetooth… not always a given :blush:

It also means a power difference due to different power sources for different ride types… those discrepancies can mess up your workout intensity, signature and overall tracking, and they don’t need to be huge once you get around and above TP. For consistency you’d ideally want to use your power meter power to also drive Xert, rather than have it driven by the trainer power…? Wahoo trainers do have the option of reading power from your power meter via ANT+, which would eliminate that difference altogether, though have never actually tested to see if it works outside of the Wahoo app - anyone? Also not sure whether other trainers offer something similar

Agreed which is why I wouldn’t bother connecting to Fulgaz while performing a SMART workout on XM. But if you want to connect to both it is possible depending on your equipment.
It’s also a great way to determine the variance between your trainer power and power meter. Sometimes it’s close enough but may confirm why you want powermatch to ensure consistency.

Yesterday I watched two Fulgaz videos during my 2+ hr Xert workout, First was connected, Mitterand, and the second was not. PaB Thurn Loop is a nice ride to watch especially the climb and long descent. I would have given hikers on the gravel section a better heads up plus it ends abruptly with a box truck at a roundabout, but whatever. :slight_smile:
IMO you may as well watch the videos without any sensors connected, since there is no benefit to matching speed on a sim while doing a workout. I’d rather just watch the scenery at the speed it was recorded at.
When intervals get tough who the heck watches the video anyway? :sweat:

1 Like

Ah, that will explain why it didn’t work today when I was trying it out today for a bit of virtualrealworld riding for a change. Will give it another try after going via zwofactory.com to convert the Canadian character set into Ozziespeak! May also try the dual connection route when my CABLE comes.

1 Like

It worked fine after downloading from zwofactory.com - it shows the workout overlaid and you get Bernard’s voice-overs! Not SMART, but nice to see real roads on the screen and in reactive mode the varying speed is pretty realistic.

1 Like

Hmm, soon got tired of Bernard today! That and occasional loss of connection to the TV didn’t help. Memo to self: if you want to properly focus on the workout, do it on Xert Player!

No, the problem is also with Apple TV and it’s still not fixed.

I’ve followed the advice to go through zwofactory, which works. But it quite annoying that I have to manually download ZWO’s from Xert, import it into zwofactory, download it again to upload it eventually to the Fulgaz website to get it working.

These workouts are simple few KB files. It shouldn’t be to complicated to figure out what the issue and fix it.

Agree it’s a hassle - the issue is with FulGaz, not Xert. The loss of HDMI signal is also unique to FulGaz - no other apps I use on the Apple TV cut the HDMI feed like this. Having tried it with a long Xert workout today I’d also say the ERG control is laggy and inconsistent in FulGaz so for instance the interval targets were often incorrect (saying 1 W!) so had to revert to free cycling to try and match the intervals graph.

You are right, Fulgaz is sometimes doing strange things.
I also had HDMI problems on my Apple TV setup. Only with Fulgaz, no issues with Zwift nor RGT. Every 2:30 min the screen got black twice for a second. Could fix the problem with a new HDMI cable. Doesn’t sound logic, but solved the problem anyway.
No ERG problems so far with my Kickr Core. Had issues on Zwift with the “free”, full power intervalls.
Over the winter I have tested all Apple TV compatible training apps. They all seem to be kind of beta versions.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I’ll look into the cable side of things.

Hi @oldcyclist65… Out of curiosity, have they confirmed that this is the issue? Or have they adjusted things to allow importing of Xert ZWO files?

Thanks!

Hi Scott,

They never bothered to get back to me. No they still don’t work.

Might be worth prodding them again… We’d like to work together with them to get this working. But we need to know what specifically we’d need to adjust to make it work.

I’ve just checked and they had closed my support ticket.

Here was they’re response. I’ve reopened the ticket and asked how they are getting on with the fix. I’m not holding my breath.

1 Like

They came back to me and said they thought it was a rounding issue but were working on it.

2 Likes

I’ve had a response from Fulgaz…