I'm confused. :D. I rode at 297w avg for 1 hour

And my threshold power after the ride is 292. Near breakthrough? (my tp was 288 at the start of today).

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 1.13.17 PM

I feel like there might be some HIE/ltp stuff here, which I don’t really understand. I have read in certain places that tp isn’t necessarily the power you can maintain for an hour. So I guess…it’s my ltp contributes enough aerobic fitness to allow me to perform above my threshold for an hour?
:man_shrugging:
At the end of my effort my mpa was below the power I was putting out. but I guess not enough for long enough. I guess what is strange to me is that if I ride at 295w average and have a 288w tp, what contributes to the duration that I can ride at that power?

Maybe the MMP? But even on the power curve, the one hour data point for the activity was 298 vs, 282 fitness signature.

who knows. Either way it was a hard workout. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Eric,

Can you share the MPA chart of your activity? Xert doesn’t work by looking at your average 5 min, 8 min, 20 min, 60 min power, nor does Xert define FTP as your highest 1 hour power :slight_smile:

Threshold Power in Xert is similar in principle, but in Xert, TP represents the highest power you can ride at where MPA does not decrease. We might argue that this is more meaningful/helpful to know for training & racing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Aha! I get it. It’s the area under the curve. Mpa decays above tp and decays until hie is exhausted?

So say 9 watts is .009kj/s. Which at 1 hour is 32.4kj.

Very interesting.

Anyway I assume you don’t really need to see the graph, we both know what it looks like. It decays at the marginal cost of the effort until in the last 30 seconds mpa and effort basically coincide resulting in a near breakthrough.

Thanks very much. It totally makes sense now.
Still curious about the other details but this is great baseline info and a place to jump off from.

1 Like

That’s why I like the Garmin MPA data field, so you know when you have to dig one last sprint to get a real breakthrough.

Thing is, doing constant-power efforts to failure is relatively easy to model! :wink:

Where MPA truly shines is during highly variable efforts like a crit race, for example:

2 Likes