Hammerhead Karoo 2

That would be useful Armando.

Oops ! Today I did my first ride outdoor this year, without any external battery and… more than 30% of the battery capacity are consumed, per hour ! So, yeah, I’m going to buy a WP5 Pro :-\

Doesn’t the wp5 pro weigh about 500grams? That’s one heavy beast.

I believe it’s 370g for the 8000mAh model and that is 10x the battery capacity of a Palm.
How about posting this stuff under the EBC thread? :wink:
I am moving any of my future Palm/KKM2 comments there.

As to this thread it looks like EBC is going to work well on a Karoo 2 whether sideloaded (currently) or as a native app (soon).

I’ve seen numbers between 270 and 370, most times I see 285g. If I don’t need my extra external battery anymore, I’m sure it will lighten my bike ! :slight_smile:

Amazon show it as 500g

And now I found out that the Doogee S59 Pro could even be a better option: 10050mAh battery !
(the Oukitel WP6 is 10000mAh, but the screen is just too large for me)
OK, I won’t do advertisement anymore here; only to review the device I will finally buy :wink:

That will include packaging I believe…

1 Like

You sure? Its just that 2 video reviews i also watched on YT quoted the weight as 500g. Good if it is less though.

Know idea about hat specific unit but in my experience the weight amazon quote is the shipping weight.

1 Like

Quick feedback about the Oukitel WP5 Pro I just bought: I’m going back to my current phone, connected through a short cable (20-30cm) with the extra battery stuck in my top-tube bag !
The WP5 Pro is almost impossible to root, no TWRP available yet, no way to install Magisk (I tried several procedures, nope, doesn’t work for me). As it’s not rooted, some important apps won’t work as expected (Youtube Vanced, AdGuard, AdAway, …), impossible to add widgets on 99% of the existing launchers, no customized ROM so you have to keep a lot of unwanted apps, and so on.
Oh, that’s fine, my top-tube bag has always been very practical, I keep some tools in it, some food, keys, …

Meanwhile and getting back on topic :grinning: my Karoo 2 has been simply great. Loving sideloading apps - Xert EBC and Spotify in particular.

Also very impressed by the Hammerhead team’s strict 2-week software release cycle, I can see that this unit will keep improving steadily.

I’m interested in swapping my Edge 1030 for the Karoo 2 Guy, what sort of battery life are you getting, and how easy is it to read the display when indoors training? The Edge models suck at the second point I mention, unless you manually force the brightness high and keep the backlight on.

Battery life seems around 8 hours for an outdoor ride although I haven’t gone long enough yet to find out. Certainly plenty left after a 5 hour ride.

Screen is great indoors and the EBC app in particular is very bright (black text on white background). Outside I find the regular Karoo 2 interface (white text on black) is sometimes slightly hard to read in direct sunlight, especially the grey data field legends which can make a screen with lots of fields confusing.

Thanks Guy

Does the dimmer control in EBC work normally or is it different than on a phone?
Can you turn it all the way down and view the screen in direct sunlight without tapping the screen?
I’m hearing that it is a sturdy unit too.

Dimmer works just like you’d expect. Not sure about direct sunlight, I haven’t used the EBC app outdoors yet as it doesn’t show Varia radar like the regular Karoo 2 screens do.

On a phone, the screen is almost unreadable outdoors, the brightness turns waaaaay too low.

Am i the only one who is experiencing issues when running EBC on Karoo2?
The trainer (neo smart) keeps randomly disconnecting and reconnecting, power goes to zero and than comes back, the Karoo 2 it displayed the message Trainer connected (or something like that)
Today after the first half of the workout Somebody told me 120, the trainer seemed to be disconnected.
I decided to connect to my Iphone and restart the workout, Somebody told me 60 and everything workoed just fine.
What do i miss in the configuration?
Thanks for help

It’s been OK for me on Kickr. Are you using ANT or BLE? Maybe try switching that.