Advices during workouts

Hello,
I come from TR and I much prefer xert, however there is one thing that I can’t find anymore here, I’m talking about tips on how to pedal to improve efficiency etc during workouts (focus on one leg for exemple) ,I don’t see anything similar here, how do you improve your technique please?

don’t think there is anything on xert for it but would suggest torque work

For me this is one of the weaknesses of xert but maybe it’s not made for beginners? (Although everyone needs this type of exercise?)

An aspect of Xert that can be seen as both a weakness and a strength is that Xert doesn’t have a training belief or philosophy. It only looks at your numbers and ways to improve them. Whereas other systems will provide advice on cadence or a certain type of pedaling for example or perhaps try an adopt a certainly philosophy (polarized vs. sweetspot for example), you don’t find these directly in Xert unless there is a way to tie this type of training to measurable increases in performance. Outside of Xert, you can find one set of coaches that advise one thing and other that advise another. When the research is conflicted, you get lots of opinions.

2 Likes

though I understand your point, please remember the Computrainer lesson… sometimes there are reasons that are more user friendly than absolutely evidence based to make tweaks. In terms of coding, what would it cost to be able to add a text prompt with timing to an interval, for instance say you are doing a hard 5 minute interval, maybe just like when you go in for a physiological test set, the people in charge of the metabolic cart will give you encouragement to get that last bit out… this could be coded as text or text to voice play at a certain time in the interval… this is not to do with cadence changes but it could be something like an option to watch heart rate or power when certain intervals prescribed are to fall within a certain range… If it is a truly hard thing and costly to code then so be it we appreciate that time and effort being spent in more fruitful pursuits, however the question is cost and benefit.

At the moment I’m very hesitant to go back to Wahoo Systm, which does things very well in terms of cadence exercises, fluidity, etc. (even if these things are not 100% demonstrated, but what is 100 % true 100% of the time?)
Of course by continuing to import my training on Xert and by following my evolutions through this wonderful support

I think some of those TR drills were designed to alleviate the boredom and monotony of riding TR workouts staring at blue blocks especially straight blocks of %FTP. :smiley:
I’m rarely bored with Xert workouts even if the same workout comes up week to week.
I’m usually watching something in a session format. Any distraction helps especially while listening to music.

Since you are new to cycling, you’ll likely get more out of drills.
Many of us here have decades of experience on a bike so prompts aren’t of real interest. If we do any drills, it’s on our own at the times we decide.
Search the web for “indoor cycling drills” and you’ll find various articles including TR’s.
No doubt some training books have a chapter discussing this topic.
Sometimes the description of a workout suggests practicing or focusing on something.
Consider variations of these options –

• low/high cadence
  • pedal stroke from feet to sit bones
  • breathing
  • sprints
  • position and posture

The primary goal is to improve your form and efficiency.
HIIT workouts aren’t always appropriate for drills but with long enough intervals you can practice one thing or another whether to improve your cycling skills or distract you from mindless pedaling.
For example –

• On climber focused workouts I’ll try to spend a portion of selected intervals out of the saddle, alternating between hoods and drops.
  • During VO2max efforts I’ll focus on breathing and form. Sometimes counting respirations is the only way I can get through tough reps.
  • I may deliberately pick up the pace (rpm) towards the end of tough intervals or ride one set at a higher/lower cadence and compare the perceived effort.
  • Sometimes I focus on one leg, but my drill is simply “Right leg! Right leg! Right leg!” whenever pain spreading from sit bone down to left calf becomes troublesome (lumbar spondylosis plus other stuff I won’t get into). The right leg can take it. :smiley:
  • Ride a portion of a workout in Slope mode or in some cases the entire workout. That alone will keep you busy monitoring the rainbow gauge or power chart on the EBC app or Session Player.

What else would make a good drill/distraction?

1 Like