XSS for running?

I have a lot of running activity. There is always the Value of XSS emty and red ? How can I determine the XSS for running?

Hi Martin,

Remember that Xert is a power analytics software platform. Therefore, activities without power are not assigned a focus or XSS value. Please see our FAQ on adding manual activities here: http://baronbiosys.com/faq-items/how-do-i-add-activities-where-i-didnt-have-a-power-meter/

We recommend not adding other activities to your cycling account, as it’s difficult for us to determine how much running (or swimming, or any other activity) affects your cycling fitness. HTH!

Thx for the answer, but when i hade many hard runnings without XSS or not in xert planner it is esay to be in Overtraining?
I have calculate the Power for running in Golden Cheetah. And so i enter the XSS - I think it is the same the runningTss.

If you’re concerned about overtraining, then it might help to turn your improvement rate down, as well as adjusting the freshness feedback slider. TSS and XSS are calculated very differently, but they’ll likely be similar enough during steady-state, sub-threshold runs.

Hmm, doesn’t sound like the correct way to go. This would only make sense, if Martin was running a constant volume each week, otherwise it has to be taken into account. Additionally it is not what somebody would expect from a platform that helps you plan your training. Having a platform that tries to be exact in every part of training and then doesn’t take such big impacts into account but only has a workaround that is at best a rough estimate is a contradiction in itself.

Anyway, I’m running with Stryd (but of course my power figures for running are different to those when cycling). Furthermore I sometimes row on a Concept2 which has powerreadings as well, but they are way different to those of cycling (cycling 260 / running >270 / rowing 175). Doesn’t that give me wrong XSS, even if I have powerreadings on all these trainings? Not talking of hiking, swimming and weight lifting so far.

I entered into Xert premium because the ideas behind are really good. Having a training advisor that takes all my activities into account is a great thing. But doesn’t the forementioned blow all the ideas?

Even worse: Last week I ran an hour at 267 W (which was an effort but definitely not the max I could sustain). This is shown as a breakthrough, actually a very small one that doesn’t hurt. But what if I had done an all out run? This would have affected my Fitness Signature, invalidating all my future cycling workouts plans.

So how can we handle this in a sensible way?

Reinhold, I take it you don’t have separate accounts for running and cycling? You should talk to support and they should be able to get you setup with a second account for one of your sports so you can keep them separate.

Hi Reinhold,

You’re correct. But we have some ways to go until we have fully functioning multi-sports account. This is because tracking multiple sports in Xert gets dramatically more complicated, since we’re tracking Low, High, and Peak training & recovery loads across each sport. Further, the interaction of running and cycling XSS isn’t fully clear yet (i.e. how much running do I need to do to improve my cycling TP by 5W? - tough question to answer right now because we don’t know how running XSS affects cycling fitness signature).

But these are things that we’re working on and plan to implement and develop into the future. For now, we recommend what I’ve discussed above. Depending on how much control you want over your data, we have some athletes that track their training load and form in each account in a separate spreadsheet in order to help them plan their training. Others simply choose to use the freshness feedback slider. Hope this is a little helpful! Let me know if you have further questions.

Hi Scott. Get what you’re saying about comparability of XSS, TSS etc. However, Garmin and Strava provide estimates of calories burned for other activities such as running, thereby providing an indication of average power. Running and swimming both develope cardiovascular fitness, which is of benefit to cycling. Our fitness profiles should therefore take all into account, even if XSS, TSS have to be rated separately. I guess to some extent our improving fitness should be reflected in our improving power figures, so, as long as we base forecasts on improvement rate, we should still get good predictions for futures using your site as it is.

Hi Peter, good points. We can continue to predict how your cycling fitness will improve by 1) tracking low, high, and peak strain for all activities and 2) figuring out the conversion of running XSS (or any other sport) into cycling XSS (or some measure of total training loads (low, high, & peak). I think its something we can do, but will take time to implement.

When clicking around a bit, I found that I can add XSS when I click in the planner and then on an activity, but only for activities where no power-data is availble. So what I did is that I disconnected Garmin and connected Strava to Xert, as Strava doesn’t handover the power-data for running. Now I can add XSS for each of these activities. For running for example I take the numbers from Stryd-power-center, for others like hiking I can take values based on HR. Only problem that remains is that rowing with a Concept2 transfers power-data as well, but the threshold for rowing is a lot lower than in cycling (not to mention running). It would be a great thing, if I could change XSS for every activity, even those that carry power-data. This could be easily implemented by an additional flag “ignore power data” and let us change XSS in such activities.

Hi Reinhold. At the moment, you can delete activities that have invalid power data and replace with a manual activity or if the XSS numbers are too low, simply add a manual activity for the XSS difference. We may consider adding a checkbox to override various settings / metrics on activities in the future.