Xert remote player and Garmin 1030+ IQ app

It might be just me as I have nothing posted recently concerning this, so please excuse if I vent.
Today I tried to do the solo session Danish Style Threshold which has the SMART- Iron Man- 90 workout attached. I am using Xert IQ app on my Garmin 1030+ with Assioma duo power pedals and powermatch is turned on. The remote player “froze” just prior to the first interval after the warmup period. I tried to soldier on with the workout just paying attention to my Garmin to meet power demands, but eventually the power started going all over the place where I couldn’t even meet the target being requested (no matter what gear or cadence I was using). I tried reconnecting but that did nothing. I stopped the workout there and started with the SMART- Iron Man- 90 workout using the pop-up buttons and you tube to set up similarly to the session.
Everything was fine but after the 3rd interval the player once again froze. Like previously I was able to continue monitoring my Garmin and stopped when I had to leave for errands to get done.
Overall, I was able to get in about 75 min of my 90 min workout.
Question is, am i doing something wrong that the player is freezing? When I’ve run the player in the past it is continuously 4-5 sec behind the Garmin in timing (it refreshes as it gets to the 5 sec or so mark behind), but I am now use to that, but now with today’s problem(s) I am thinking I must be doing something wrong.
Any help, advice, etc is much appreciated. Other than this problem between the player and Garmin I am very much enjoying my Xert experience.
Thanks!

Garmin. There are countless conflicts that can be created by their OS and ConnectIQ with running apps. Try disabling Wifi. Try removing some datafields that run in the background. Receiving a text message, for example, can mess up running apps so disable that. The newer the Garmin, the more problems you’ll encounter.

If you are doing workouts indoors, always, always use the iPhone/Android apps. Mobile OS’s are designed to manage multiple apps running at the same time. You’ll never see Zwift, TrainerRoad or other workout apps on a Garmin for a reason.

Having said that, it’s still an amazing Garmin app. Many have used it very reliably for years. It was named app of the year twice by Garmin for a reason. But if it’s not working, it’s not the app. It’s some other issue that messing things up. Simplying the Garmin environment is your best bet to running the Workout Player without issue, not just for our app but for everything in the Garmin ecosystem in general.

2 Likes

Hi Albert ! After my first time with the Player App, long time ago, i have encountered the same problem on the road, (outdoor). I have delete the IQ Player from my Edge 1030 and i have download again. Setting w/ username and password, this, go perfectly w/out problem. In my ride, (outdoor), i disconnect my smartphone, so, no message or other interference from smartphone to my Garmin and i don’t have encountered problems. I watch only the XERT Player and the work i have to execute. When i ride indoor, i use EBC App on my iPhone 11 Pro and, sometime, XERT Player on my Garmin but always w/out interference from my smartphone. Good luck ! Regards, Corrado, Italy.
Sorry, i have reply @xertedbrain but i was going to reply @Cyclingdoughboy :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Hi Albert ! After my first time with the Player App, long time ago, i have encountered the same problem on the road, (outdoor). I have delete the IQ Player from my Edge 1030 and i have download again. Setting w/ username and password, this, go perfectly w/out problem. In my ride, (outdoor), i disconnect my smartphone, so, no message or other interference from smartphone to my Garmin and i don’t have encountered problems. I watch only the XERT Player and the work i have to execute. When i ride indoor, i use EBC App on my iPhone 11 Pro and, sometime, XERT Player on my Garmin but always w/out interference from my smartphone . Good luck ! Regards, Corrado , Italy.

Agree, the IQ app is good which is why I thought I may have been do something incorrectly. Will try the changes you recommended after the holidays.
Merry Christmas!

Sorry to hear about your problems. For what it’s worth, here’s my history with Garmin.
I purchased a Garmin 1030 when I started on Xert and used it exclusively indoors and outdoors.
The Xert Connect IQ player ran fine for the most part but once I tried EBC (many more features), I never used the Garmin for indoor workouts again.
Outdoors I began to experience too many issues with Garmin Connect, Live Track, and more. Garmin Express on my laptop was also hit or miss finding the device to install updates. Plus, it seems something would break with every firmware update. Reliability became a concern.
After a couple outdoor rides went “poof” on the Garmin I switched to the EBC app on my phone, initially in a jersey pocket as my ride recording device.
As the Garmin sat gathering dust, I toyed with the idea of a Karoo 2 but ended up selling the Garmin for more than the K2 trade-in offer. I have since moved on to using a small Android phone as my head unit. There are pros and cons to that, but I am happy with the decision. IME it is impossible to lose ride/workout data on EBC.

As to your particular issue the Connect IQ platform can be problematic plus the telemetry connection of the Xert player relies on Garmin middleware (Garmin Connect) to pass the data to XO. On good days there was a 1-2 second delay. On bad days 4-5 seconds was the norm.
I hear Garmin firmware has improved during the last couple of years, but I am not turning back. YMMV :wink:

1 Like