Xert is using elapsed time instead of moving time

As a background, my Xert activities are sync-ed from my Garmin Connect account.

Today I did an indoor long ride, with some interruptions during the workout (such as, having lunch ;-)). For each interruption, I did pause and resume the device (Garmin watch) manually. As such, the moving time is 5 hours, while the total/elapsed time is 7.5 hours. Check out the activity: Xert - Login

I think Xert is using the elapsed time (7.5 hours) as the duration, unwantedly bumping up my weekly duration and my athlete level (?). Shouldn’t it be using the moving time instead?

Search results for ‘elapsed time’ - Xert Community Forum (xertonline.com)

TL;DR – Stop the activity and start a new one if you want to avoid recording null time. :wink:
Otherwise Xert’s model will treat it as RIB (rest in between).

1 Like

Oops… sorry for not researching the topic properly! Thanks for the answer!

I just posted another thread on this topic. Personally, I think that Xert is making the wrong choice here and splitting the activity is annoying if you use other sites/tools that don’t require this. It’s not a huge problem, but it creates a point of friction when using Xert.

Sorry but I disagree with you. For example, if I’m out for a 4 hour group ride and we stop off for 30 minutes for coffee and cake after 2 hours of cycling. Well I’m going to recover a certain amount during those 30 minutes of recovery so it “should” be included within the data.

2 Likes

It make hours a useless measure for a training program. Xert uses hours as a weekly target for training. Not useful when coffee stops are included

1 Like

Not at all. Its hours AND xss

The most useful aspect of hours is knowing how much time you’ll need to invest in your training, not how much time you spend riding your bike. In the past, training hours was a useful analogue for training volume. Distance too was also used. Today however, it’s XSS and with Xert we can characteriize volume and intensity via XSS using 3 sub components. This is the main thing that we track for you. Hours is just there so you know how much time you’re spending each week on rides.

2 Likes

Make sense to show weekly hours as a way to set expectations for the time investment needed to complete the training for a week. I wish there was also a way to see a weekly target for XSS and/or the low, high, and peak sub-components.

We’ve gone one step further and rather than telling you how much you need to do each week, we tell you whether you are on track, behind (deficit) or ahead (surplus) relative to a rolling weekly XSS target. We do the math for you.

Also, you can’t control low, high and peak XSS individually (except for Low perhaps) so instead of providing abstract XSS targets that you wouldn’t know what to do with and how to hit, we aggregate these into Focus so that you can more easily interpret the training demands.

Other systems use workouts as a way to target certain adaptations (at least this is the intent of the coach or person designing the workouts). In Xert, workouts’ adaptations are already quantified - these are low, high and peak XSS - which are summarized as XSS and Focus to again do the math for you and just give you the targets you need to hit.

4 Likes