I have an elite Drivo (mark one) trainer and a Garmin 520 unit. I have downloaded and installed the workout player. I add the Drivo in sensors on the Garmin (not in the app as instructed); the unit finds the indoor trainer. I select a workout, let the app configure, then start working out. All goes well then the unit freezes. Initially I thought it was Xert stalling the interval because I was not meeting the target but it isn’t. It happens on low intensity intervals.
I can run the workouts in Zwift via downloading but I want to use the smart feature (working on MPA/fatigue). Eventually I’d like to use it within Zwift too but currently I cannot even get the Garmin to work with the trainer.
I suspect I am in rookie error territory but I really don’t know what’s going on.
There is a known problem with Garmin devices where custom installed datafields that run in the background on the unit interfere with a running app (our Xert Player). The best thing is to remove these datafields from the device for the time being until the issue get resolved. If you continue to experience issues, contact our support. Sometimes the Garmin requires you to manually remove them off the device.
Try that and let us know if things are working properly.
Just for clarity. Do you mean the other Xert datafields for MPA, XSS etc?
They work on the unit when I am out riding - love the MPA. These are the apps I need to delete to use the player?
If so, then can I delete them to use the player to workout. Then reinstall them for IRL life rides?
Non Xert datafields. Ours are well behaved and don’t run unless you’re recording (which is what all datafields should do but they don’t!)
Okay. The only one I have that is not labelled Xert is the Bioshift Cadence Optimiser. The rest are Xert tagged. But I see that one is Xert-BaronBiosystems when I look to uninstall.
I don’t have any other data fields.
Contact our support. It may be due to having an older datafield still on your Garmin in which case you’ll need to either do a factory reset / remove apps manually or the workout you’re doing may cause the 520 to run out of memory. If the workout has more intervals than others that have run fine, this might be the cause.
Thank you for your rapid response. I’ll do that. In the meantime I’ll remove the fields and reinstall a reduced the number of them. I did install all of your datafields including segment hunter and I remember comment about the memory size on a Garmin 520 and that one.
Just to update. I removed all but 3 of the Xert data fields and two additional ones on Garmin mobile for my vivoactive watch. Everything works fine now. Many thanks for the guidance.