Xert EBC

I would never use it for outdoor workouts but just for outdoor riding. I know of no one that has a map displayed on their head unit apart from a few touring cyclist friends. I want it to simply show data fields full screen.

Maybe the xert EBC app isn’t really for outside riding as opposed to outside workouts.

I only ever follow structured workouts indoors.

Never say never. :smiley:
I think you’ll at least try outdoor workouts when you see what that actually means on EBC. It’s not what you can currently test using the Outdoor/Workout option.
Put another way, you are already working out when you ride outdoors. It just depends on how you look at it. :wink:
I believe your data field request will be an option. Feedback like yours is what they need to decide. Right now there are some bigger things in the mix. Stay tuned…

1 Like

Trust me. I’ve been doing structured training for a number of years and ALWAYS free ride outdoors. I no longer race and simply ride for pleasure.

1 Like

I’m hoping that the bigger things isn’t group workouts. Trainerroad implemented those recently and although enjoyed and used by a fair few it’s not big on my list :grinning:

1 Like

Even for me it’s not important the map view, I hardly ever do outdoor workouts.
If you have a Power Meter to pair to, once you start the app the display will show you data fields and the rainbow gauge. The map is always available, but you have to swipe to another page.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention what @victhor just pointed out.
The default screen and page options change based on what you are doing (indoor/outdoor), what sensors are paired, and whether you have selected a workout, route, etc.
EBC is intended to be used indoors or out and accommodate all rider preferences (workouts, free rides, structured/unstructured workouts, map/route, and more things to come).

As to mapping a number of riders do use their bike computer for navigation so you don’t want to ignore that market segment. I’ll certainly use the feature when traveling or riding a new route. Those that need more can always load another app from the Play Store.

1 Like

KKM1/2 warning –
There is a potential issue with the King Kong Mini you should be aware of especially if you decide to use the KOM adapter.
In the pic below I highlighted the only flat surfaces in red.
Other than the red box lines and raised logo badge everything in between is indented or tapers down toward the edge as indicated by yellow arrows.
The SIM card cover is where I moved the MEI sticker to. It is flat between the two screws but of course you don’t want to touch that space.

So… the best adapter is going to be the square one that @ManofSteele shows in his pic especially if the VHB tape has thicker foam. The KOM has thin tape that won’t to reach into the indents.
Since I already have a KOM plus some thin VHB tape from my Palm power pack/case project I am going to fill in the indents with extra tape before I apply the KOM. Even so the KOM bottom wing is going to hang above the RoHS CE section due to the taper.

VHB tape is very sticky stuff and once cured is more than adequate to hold the adapter even if only gripping the red line surfaces. However, I’d worry about how much torque the tape can handle from repeated phone removals. YMMV

1 Like

I also noticed that the zoom level of the workout graph changes from showing 10 minutes (± 5 minutes) to only showing 1.5 minutes (± 45 seconds).

You have to change it to the full view and back again to reset it.

Mike

Good idea to fill in the indents with extra tape, but …
i have already mounted the KOM adapter without further precautions. :scream:
It looks stable now, but I will have to periodically check for stability.
Keep in touch.

Some more feedback after using EBC on my Karoo 2 to record Zwift races (I mainly do this so I get a single workout file including warmup).

1. Would be good if there’s a way to name your activity before it gets saved. Maybe you can in outdoor mode only?
  2. I got a breakthrough message in EBC (you beast!) but it turned out to be a near breakthrough only. Is this to be expected? I get why it happens with the more limited Garmin app, but wasn’t expecting it on Android.

Overall though, a great little indoor race recorder!

@ManofSteele

Hi Scott,

How do I disable the interval alert beepson Xert EBC?

Doing a 2hr endurance workout today they were really annoying as I was trying listen to an audio book during the workout.

Thanks

1 Like

@ManofSteele

Some feedback for the Xert EBC. With 1.04 left of a 2hr workout the lower half data fields for the 1st and 3rd slider disappeared. The 2nd (middle one) was fine.

Do you mean listening to an audio book on your phone at the same time?
The sound in EBC it tied to media volume on your phone.
The option to disable sound has been discussed so it may appear in a future update.

No. I am listening to an audiobook on a separate device (amazon fire hd). My phone is on “do not disturb” mode but the interval beeps still occur.

The EBC app needs to provide an option to enable/disable interval sounds just like you can with the Trainerroad app.

Go to Volume control on your phone, expand to show all controls, push the media slider all the way to the left.

Thanks friend :+1:

It’s under a developer options field for now, but we can easily move it to the regular settings menu for users. Won’t be a hard fix.

1 Like

Thanks Scott. Did you see my post above about the missing fields? The new app is pretty impressive :+1:

Will we be able to hide the map on outside rides and show just fields full page? My eyesight ain’t what it used to be :wink: