I just got a Karoo 2, and have been trying to use the EBC app on it. I thought I’d start this thread so we could specifically discuss how EBC works on Karoo 2, and perhaps how it should work. Hopefully we can share tips and best practices, et cetera…
I’ve got a couple of questions to begin with:
- Is it possible to run to EBC and Karoo 2 activities at the same time? I tried this yesterday and EBC was working, but it seemed like Karoo 2 didn’t have access to the sensors once they were in use by EBC
- Has anyone had luck with the Varia radar? I connected it to EBC and see a very narrow bar on the left hand side, but the bar does absolutely nothing as far as I can tell. One reason I started recording a simultaneously recording on Karoo 2 was so that I could get Varia notifications. This is still not desirable because I want to see where the vehicles are too.
- I’m getting a weird bug with speed. I’m not sure what it is, but it happens with both a speed sensor on my outdoor bike, and with my Kickr on my indoor setup. The speed will regularly fluctuate between what I think is the right speed (i.e. ~30kph) and something totally unrealistic (~120kph). When I look at the sensor screen when on the Kickr It shows two highlighted icons: speed from trainer, and speed from power. When I try to de-select speed from power it won’t work… Not sure what’s going on there.
- Not necessarily Xert/Karoo related–What is the more efficient protocol for sensors from the perspective of headunit battery life, BT or ANT+?
I’ve already got a couple of things that I hope to see in the future:
- Xert metrics are available as data fields on Karoo 2 display. I’d like to have them also available as trend lines (i.e. MPA history)
- I’d also like to have a difficulty field
- If there is a Varia sound implemented it doesn’t come through BT headphones…although I was having general struggles with Varia…
Listening to the latest podcast it seems like Xert people (specifically @xertedbrain) want to make a full featured bike computer. If that is the case here are some things that are clearly standing out right now:
- Maps. Navigation. Replanning… et cetera
- Uploading to multiple sources (Strava, RidewithGPS, et cetera)
- Battery life! One reason I own a dedicated bike computer is because phones don’t really have a great track record with battery life. Battery life needs to be a high priority in any work you do. (Things like an option for a dark background for OLED screens, Karoo has a dark background and I love it even though I’m pretty sure it’s not OLED and so doesn’t benefit from the power savings). I would hope to get at least 12 hours from a bike computer; that way I don’t have to charge it after every ride, and can even do an epic ride without having to worry about bringing an extra battery.
- Better trainer controls (and really controls in general). The manual controls for trainer are clunky. Pressing the +/- buttons to increase 5 W at a time isn’t great. I would really like integration with the hardware buttons on Karoo, or at least have larger buttons (this also applies to increasing/decreasing intensity during a workout). I prefer Wahoo’s approach where you can select the 1s, 10s, or 100s digit and increase that. I get that Xert is about complex workouts, but ERG mode is sometimes dead simple for an active recovery ride, or warm-up/cool-down, or even testing out your hardware (how I discovered the annoyance today )
- This is a list of basic functions that I expect. I’m sure more of these will come to mind over time. I haven’t even started dreaming of next-gen bike computer stuff yet. I want something that works first, and then add-on. Perhaps that means spending time on tighter integration with Karoo in the short-term?
As I continue to experiment I’ll put down some more thoughts here. I’m excited about what EBC-Karoo 2 can offer! Hopefully we can work in that direction.