Vo2 Max Test

Thanks for the info Carmen.

Yes, I was 100lbs overweight and had serious inflammation issues. The best we can figure is my gut biome was messed up from too many years drinking meade, a restaurant diet and the stress of making films.

So I started fasting, and cycling and lost the weight in a year. Then, as I became more fit I started cycling more to 4k miles this year. So, with that - my HR couldn’t break 132 before - and now is at its high at 154 when racing.

I use a Wahoo chest strap as I had troubles with the optical wrist versions. OMG, even different sports bras caused troubles with the HRM. But I think I have that handled now! ha!

2 Likes

Optical monitors work ok for me indoors, but not outdoors. Even so, I wear a Garmin strap indoors, and don’t bother with HR outdoors, mostly because my Fenix 3 no longer works with HR. It picks up my 4iiii cranks just fine though. It’s like 7 years old. I’m never doing long slow stuff outdoors anyway…I don’t have the self-control. I ride gravel exclusively, and I love powering up little hills all afternoon.

1 Like

Aerotune does something similar and is much much cheaper, and available direct to consumer. (They also do on road aerodynamics testing though I’ve not tried that).

Or Sentiero analytics has a (currently free) basic / beta website which also estimates VO2 max, vlamax, zones, fat-carb usage etc. based on some power inputs for specific durations.

Both are based on the same research you mention, but can’t speak to accuracy. Resulting zones looked reasonable for me though

Plenty of fun ways to do that with Xert and keep things simple to achieve your goals. :slight_smile:
Set ATP to Continuous. Set a Slow improvement rate if you wish to gradually increase your training load. TL increase is the single biggest contributor to improving fitness but keep in mind recovery is where that improvement actually happens. :wink:

Ride as you wish.
For your “80% easy/easy” select easy endurance workouts (3:00:00 focus) with mostly blue intervals. The bluer the better. Aqua is fine. Green moves you into sweet spot territory (hard endurance).
For example, over/under LTP intervals like Lucy in the Sky or at/below LTP like Back to Blue.
You can do these workouts while wandering around in 3D world if the EBC app controls your trainer and Zwift is only paired to power meter.
Or run EBC while watching the Session Player with a BTW (Bike the World) video. Select from Sessions to do that. Or free ride outdoors to similar focus duration (20:00 and higher) by monitoring watts/HR/RPE or some Xert data fields if you have a Garmin.
Once a week do your HIIT workout or ZRL event as your “20% hard/hard”.
If not getting a BT once a month from HIIT efforts, ride a BT workout to failure in Slope mode to assess any signature change.
Decide which day(s) you want to rest or if feeling stretched just take the day off. :wink: Remember, recovery is key.

No need for a VO2max test or zone anguish with an easy/easy, hard/hard approach.
Over time you’ll feel fitter and be fitter regardless of what measuring tools you use. Monitoring the XPMC chart will do. You could slice and dice your data at intervals.icu if so inclined, but a 3 zone/3 level strain model doesn’t require that amount of detail.

Any chance you’ve followed Katie Kookaburra’s journey?
Ultra-endurance is well beyond my scope but to each their own. :man_cartwheeling: :biking_woman: :woman_cartwheeling:
Enjoy the ride.

3 Likes

Thank you @ridgerider2 - I appreciate the info you shared, as it will help me use Xert. The info about the BT’s using a slope seems like a great idea.

I use Zwift & FulGaz- and ride outdoors with a Karoo II. I hope it does the EBC cuz its android, right?

I was riding FulGaz tonight, and realized Xert would work really well with an EBC workout and the screen goodies!

I will try it tomorrow. :grinning:

Did you need to upgrade from the free version of Sentiero to see personal zones?

I just tried signing up to Sentiero but it doesn’t seem to be working. The emails confirmation that they send you goes to a blank page when clicked to confirm.

Nope, am not even sure there is a paid section (yet)?

Just needed to enter 10m and 3m power in the calculator of the zones section. Or analyze a ride which has all out 3m and 10m efforts.

1 Like

OK. But with me the update button was greyed out so non- functional. I’ll give them another go but it did also say my test period had ended despite only having signed up 5 minutes previously

My confirmation email worked OK but it did say that my rest period had already finished and I needed to email them for a monthly sub. I’ve emailed them for an explanation but don’t expect a response until next week now.

Ok looks like that’s new - was free till recently. I also get the same message now for info

Karoo 2 - Xert App – Hammerhead

1 Like

Hello,
I admit to being interested in this code, however, do you know how to estimate the VLamax with high reliability without taking lactate from the start?

I don’t really understand…

Thanks in advance!