Understanding the lactate ramp test?

Hi, could anybody help me to read this lactate test I took (myself)? What is my LTP (or LT1)? what is my FTP (LT2), 210w? isn’t the LT1 below or at 2mmol/l? so according to my results, my LT1 should be 100w or less? but my resting Lactate and HR was 2.4mmol/l and 62 beats/min, respectively, is this too high? how to train to lower it?

The protocol I followed: I took a ramp test with 20w steps (jumps) with 5min duration. The blood sample was taken between 1min and 30sec before the end of every step. Would it be the same if I shorten the duration to 4 mins the next time?

Some extra information: I am 40 years old and weigh 88 Kg. I used the Lactate Edge meter, and the Tacx Neo 2T to control and measure the power. (the measurement at 160w was with a smaller blood sample, maybe that is why it went down?)

Here is the session in Xert: Xert-session where I could not reach a breakthrough, but it was expected because my power indoors is lower than outdoors, this has happened to me (and others) before.

Hi @gmorales

Lactate tests are notoriously unreliable unless you follow a very strict pre-test protocol and measure lactate with sensitive and accurate equipment. Even then, you’ll get different answers from different scientists because they employ different methods on how to make the calculations.

Lactate increase is a continuous curve upwards and where LT1 and LT2 are depends on the method you use. With your chart, the only method that you could possibly use is 2mmol for LT1 and 4mmol for LT2 but as you might imagine the +/- of those numbers are very wide so you likely won’t have an accurate number.

What does your signature say about your TP and LTP? Perhaps they might give you a clue on how to read it.

Hi Armando,
Thanks for your answer. My signature is LTP=144w and TP=222w, how would they relate to the chart? What is the strict pre-test protocol you mentioned? where can I find more information about it?

There are likely many sources of how to conduct a lactate ramp test. I would google for it. (I don’t do them myself.)

Based upon your LTP and TP values, I don’t see any major discrepancy in your lactate data.