Training Load and Recovery load from cycling and running

To survive this winter, I have decided to combine running and cycling again, to strengthen my heart/lungs and my core. This means that I need to combine the stress of the running activities and the cycling activities. I was expecting that the aggregation of the running account and the cycling account would lead to one XPMC, but it seams that we still have two seperate charts. Have I missed something here? [by the way, both running and cycling are power-based activities]. Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

No, you did not miss anything. In Xert, running and cycling are completely separate. You have to gauge your own fatigue. As a triathlete, I wish they would combine them, but no such luck. It doesn’t sounds like it’s in the plans in the near term either.

1 Like

www.omegawave.com is your friend. Even though expensive, it is, at least for me, while in the process of adapting to exercise limitations imposed by the fortuitous discovery of an enlarged ascending aorta, absolutely critical to gauge my exercise recovery. Following the OW metrics has led to very useful data for me especially given that I’m cross training now between cycling and rock climbing, YMMV (I am not an “ambassador” for Omegawave so I get no $ for bringing the app to notice.) HTH. Anthony

1 Like

While it might seem like a simple task of adding two numbers together for a single CTL and ATL for an combined PMC, that doesn’t make much sense in the Xert world. A combined cycling and running Training Load doesn’t offer any real information since, to be useful, there would have to be some way of defining the contribution of running strain towards cycling and cycling to running, both for TL and RL (and to become fully predictive, you’d have to split each into low, high and peak). Yes. Very complex to really make a combination useful. Simply adding them together, while it might make for an interesting number, doesn’t provide much real utility in the end.

Your best option is to keep them separate and to use daily readiness assessments and your own awareness of how the tiredness you have from running affects your cycling and vice versa. We could introduce some unique arithmetic totals or some useful transformation but until we know what that is and is manageable, it is not meaningful to do so.

3 Likes

I appreciate your honesty in it. While I’d love something that combined my swims, bikes and runs, I understand that it is very complicated.

1 Like