TP and 2 hour power confusion

I’m a Trainerroad user and I’ve just signed up to Xert. I’m confused as to how my 2 hour power can be just 2 watts below my TP. I know there’s no way I could hold those watts for 2 hours…

I’ve got a little more wiggle room than you but even so I doubt I could do 2 hrs at 237W. My belief is that the Xert TP is probably closer to your true MLSS, however the longer duration power values are based on extrapolating your anaerobic power durations and can be subject to a lot more errors than the < 1hr power figures. Edit: I don’t doubt, I KNOW I couldn’t do 237W for 2 hours.

1 Like

Its strange isn’t it?

Thanks for sharing yours :+1:

For your reference, here’s mine. I’m not saying I could keep that pace for sure, but I’m not certain I can’t either.

1 Like

Thanks Robert👍

Maybe there’s a relation with your fitness level and your TP? I hope @ManofSteele or @xertedbrain will chip in… I was thinking that as you get ‘stronger’ (more stars), your TP will likely rise, but so will your endurance capacity. If I look at the three of us, with an increasing TP, the difference increases slightly. I have no idea what Xert estimates by how much you could raise your TP - what’s your current W/kg ratio? - but I would think that if it’s in the low range now, it would explain how it figures you could keep that for a longer period of time. What’s your one hour power? You can see that on the power curve or get that by setting profile type to time-triallist.

1 Like

The 2 hour power number is derived by using a generalized endurance model, it’s not taken from MMP data, so there’s likely a good amount of variation between athletes. Remember that Xert is displaying the maximal effort that you can perform across the PD curve. For times up to about 60 min, this is rather easy to determine. Once you’re working beyond 60 min (or below TP), the rational for why you couldn’t keep pushing switches from muscular limitations (buildup of lactate/inorganic phosphate, calcium fatigue, etc.) to central limitations (motivation, willingness to suffer, etc), which is much more complicated to model. Perhaps we can do a little better job by including Endurance Energy as a 4th FS parameter, but still much work to be done on that.

2 Likes

In short: grinta :sunglasses:

2 Likes

TP isn’t your 1 hour power. Look at your power duration for that. My 1 hour power is 3 watts lower than my TP.

1 Like

Well aware :smiley: For most athletes, TP is usually around 1 hour.

1 Like

Many thanks

You were saying? :joy:
Besides, 3 Watts is pretty much negligible.

1 Like

Snap!
@ManofSteele does having your hour power equal to your TP mean anything physiologically?

2 Likes

@Cyclopaat Yikes 4 stars. Just curious, what is your Form?
I am at only 2 starts at about 47 TL. Any amount of trainign puts me at a deficit for Form. Trying to figure out how to manage this and slowly get to 3 and then 4 stars.

I’m also just 2 stars.Where do I find my TL number?

Just found it. My TL is 49.

@cyclingscot To get to 3 starts, TL needs to be greater than 75. Above 110 for 4 starts.
Guess it will take 203 months to cross 3.5 stars for me.

1 Like

Hmmm not sure that’s possible for this oldie.

Untitled

Untitled

1 Like

It really depends on how much time you have. I’m 64 and my current load is 101 on 15-20 hours a week, mostly around LTP with the occasional hard group ride.

1 Like

I take it you are fully retired Cary? I am 63 and woreking 3 days a week now. Hours per week has gone from 5 to 7.5-8 and I expect it to go a bit higher when it gets warmer and I start doing more outdoor rides.

1 Like