TL/RampRate/XATA

Such a good point @longbear and I think really gets at the crux of what Xert tries to do; provide you a robust platform that empowers your own training decisions. I’ve been mentally targeting around the same XSS/d that you pointed out but 120-130 factoring in a day off in there.

I agree, right now my example is a little a-typical. I had a fairly steep ramp rate as I joined Xert after sustaining an injury and being off the bike for about a month (and not riding with power other than a smart trainer in the winter, Xert changed this and now the bikes have power meters for this coming season). I think once my TL has fully caught up to the weekly XSS efforts it will track more typically. Again within the confines of my fairly erratic schedule.

I also agree that 100 XSS per day is very different from 700 XSS is one day; I think everyone would agree it is much easier to eat the elephant over a long period of time than try to swallow it all in one sitting. But if I understand how the daily calculations work the deficit at the end of the week would still total the same numbers; it just might end up being a different amount of work/watts to gain the XSS. In my head 100 XSS every day might be quite a stable fitness signature with a very stable required effort and matching watts for all of those days (if you wanted to achieve that 100 XSS the same way every day); whereas comparing to a week following no inactivity your signature would likely deteriorate and the watts required within the training would be reduced to achieve the same XSS as well as the watts would also be reduced within the activity itself due to a marathon activity with an increasing difficulty level as the workout continued. However XSS as a figure tends to factor all that in, so a 100 XSS per day to target a ramp rate over a week should be the same XSS at the end of the week targeting the same ramp rate. Much in the same way that 100 XSS for me at 185lbs with a TP of 275 is very different than the 100 XSS my 100 year old grandma at 75lbs with a TP of “leave me alone to drink my tea” would be. Both numbers should still factor into a ramp rate calculation the same for that individual?

In any event it is interesting to track and see how over time the system figures it all out. Hoping to see more convergence as my training progresses.

Something we say time and again in the podcasts are that if you can train more (without compromising your recovery), train more! If you have extra time to ride, then ride more - it’ll help increase your fitness! This is why we don’t bother to calculate a ‘weekly XSS target’, but continue to stick to a day to day approach, where athletes can filter the training by their training availability. :slight_smile: