Should I Use AutoPause?

Hello,

I like using the data fields and viewing metrics such as difficulty or XEP in real time. For races, this works flawlessly as the action is constant, but I’m concerned about this feature for group rides and solo training rides where I might be stopped at stop signs or a cafe. I notice that my XEP and difficulty will sink dramatically when I’m sitting still for any decent amount of time. What do you recommend, should I be enabling AutoPause on my Garmin 820?

I’m wondering how to sort this and I use autopause on my Garmin 1030 plus…still showing rubbish stats as we stopped at a cafe for 30 mins

Related question. I did a long ride today, stopped for about 45 minutes, but didn’t stop or pause the activity on my Garmin. Total time was 2 1/2 hours, but moving time was only 1:45. I notice that the TSS for this workout is much lower than what Training Peaks or Intervals.icu show. It’s usually the other way around, with Xert showing higher strain. Is this aberration a result of the long stationary time?

TSS continues to accumulate, even if you aren’t doing anything. XSS is much better in this regard.

Mike

1 Like

Another way to put it, TSS depends on whether you have autopause on or off. XSS doesn’t.

How so? I actually thought the TSS numbers were the accurate numbers, but perhaps not. Can you explain how XSS would be accurate but the TSS meter keeps running? In my original reply, I meant to type XSS where I typed TSS. So for 1:45 workout, Xert said about 30 XSS lower than the others’ TSS. Also, Xert’s equivalent power was much lower, a number I know is incorrect.

I’d have to have a look back at some of my old spreadsheets I made to give you a more precise answer, but the two ststems take a different approach:

• XSS is calculared on a second by second basis and depends on the two parameters, MPA and Power. You get more XSS for the same power if your MPA is low, but no XSS if you’re not putting out any power.

• TSS is calculated from the normalized power from the start of the activity to the point in question with the other parameters being FP and time.

As you do zero watts the NP^2 term would have to go down at the same rate as the s term goes up, but that doesn’t happen. Check your TSS as you coast down a hill the next time your out.

As to whether TSS or XSS is more accurate: XSS is based on your own fitness signature, whereas TSS is based on a generic power curve.

Mike

Courtesy Drew Sharlow.

Thanks Armando and Mike, I get it.

Other platforms explain it away by saying “All TSS isn’t created equal”. Very true but it wasn’t it originally conceived to take all intensities into account and give an accurate assessment of load.
XSS is much better at that.
@xertedbrain One thing I don’t understand is does Xert draw any distinction between intensities above and below LTP in a similar way to TP?

No. …erm… not yet. :wink:

4 Likes

Hi @CarmenV - not sure if you’ve had a chance to check out the first series of Xert Academy videos, but I’m wrapping up the second ‘episode’, where I spend some time discussing XSS & it’s importance to Xert. I think it’ll be something you will find helpful & interesting :slight_smile: I’ll post a note once the video is available! Cheers