Remove Running Power to Derive XSS from HR

I no longer use a Stryd for my runs but I use a Coros GPS watch, which records running power. Is there a way to have my runs imported from Strava and strip the running power values so that my training load can be derived from the running activity heart rate recordings?

I get that running and cycling are different, and I don’t want to “pollute” my fitness signature, but even though my runs can no longer be categorized as “epic” :slight_smile: they still add fatigue that I’d like XATA to account for when prescribing a cycling workout.

Is stripping running power on import possible today or would this be more of a feature request?

UPDATE: To be clear, my primary training is cycling. I’m no longer training for both running and cycling and wanting Xert to handle both in the same Xert account. This is a different question … it could be about cycling and rowing instead of cycling and running, or cycling and any other sport that measures watts other than cycling … how can I have Xert strip watts on imported non-cycling activities and use HR values to assess training load?

5 Likes

@jfc did you ever find any solution to this problem? experiencing a similar frustration from garmin run power

1 Like

Nope. No resolution.

1 Like

There’s no way to automate this but you could use www.fitfiletools.com to strip out the power data from the file. Alternatively, send the power data to your Running Profile and copy the XSS from those rides into manual activities on your cycling profile. This might be a bit better since you can adjust the amount a bit lower since running isn’t exactly equal to cycling, watt for watt or bpm for bpm.

2 Likes

Maybe this is a question out of the blue, but while running fatigue isn’t exactly equal to cycling, doesn’t the fatigue accumulated between different sports correlate the most when doing Sub LTP and diverges the most at PP, which is the most likely the energy system that requires the most specifity?

My guess is that by how much it correlates or diverge is right now impossible to know unless there’s literature on multisport disciplines, but I guess one could take this in consideration when manually populating a cycling profile with other sports’ XSS and make a better decision when manipulating the Freshness Feedback.

Thanks in advance Armando!

Sorry for the delay but you do make some interesting points. How fatigue transfers from one sport to another depends on several factors. For example, the same XSS from running affects cycling more greatly compared to that XSS from cycling against running. XSS from swimming for example, has much less impact. As you point out, it may even be affected by intensity (i.e. whether the strain is low, high or peak).

Affect on training load can get very complicated as well with low/high/peak strain transferring in different ways from one activity type to another. The problem isn’t just “how does my running improve my cycling” for example but “how does my low intensity running affect my cycling and how does my high intensity running affect my cycling and how does my peak intensity running affect my cycling”. We’d need to know this or perhaps have a reasonable estimate in order to properly account for the affects of running on cycling.

1 Like