Recommend workout

As an experiment I just created a sample group session that uses a 45 min LI endurance workout and plays the D3 Academy video. I don’t know if this is actually accessible to all users or not as I have never tried setting up a shared session before.
Let me know if this link works for you.

(1) Xert - TEMPLATE Example (xertonline.com)

See description for instructions on using as a template to watch any Academy series video.

Yeah I’m not sure why Apple TV doesn’t support a browser so I can only guess that it’s mostly a matter of there not being a good way to interact with one unless you buy other stuff like a mouse and keyboard. Sure, you could use a phone as a remote with the swipe gestures, but I think that wouldn’t be the experience they’re after. So, rather than sell more phones (nobody is going to buy a phone just to use a browser on Apple TV), they would just reduce the user experience. Browsing the web on a TV is just a bad experience (at least IME so far nobody has a good solution). Of course it would be handy for this particular use because no interaction with the browser is required after it is initially set up - it’s really just an extended display.

I can see where this could be handy for easy days. Personally I prefer podcasts most of the time, but I can see where some would prefer videos or who knows what. When a workout is harder, I can’t even focus on a podcast so I prefer the simple black and blue screen that better matches how I’m gonna feel afterwards.

I played around with the Sessions thing a bit but can’t figure out how you got the video to be maximized with the Xert stats on top of it without the title bar, etc.

Also, I don’t have an iPad but, in general, mirroring and AirPlay work perfectly with Apple products. Mirroring with Windows and/or Roku products is a LOT of trouble. To get the latter to work usually requires doing things in a certain order, enabling/disabling this that and the other (probably in order too), and usually breaks immediately when something changes like from a simple Windows Update. No thanks. The Apple stuff may be more limited but it just works. I do use a Windows PC for work related stuff but not for home entertainment/play stuff - way more hassle than it’s worth IMO.

In upper right of Sessions Player is a Settings icon.
Select that and change Transparency Slider to 15 and Layout to Overlay, then Update.
You can also remove the Chat box. The Leaderboard shows you workout stats on a solo session.
If satisfied with the results change browser screen to full screen which is F11 on Windows browsers and an icon button in lower right on Safari.

You will likely watch presentation videos like the Academy sessions in the standard video box, but scenic videos or race coverage in overlay mode, full screen.
When I ride mindless blue/aqua (low intensity) workouts I often disable the power chart for a more immersive experience. The power chart is visible on EBC if needed but I usually watch the rainbow gauge. I do enable the power chart for any harder workouts.

I think you will grow to like the color-coded charts in Xert as they quickly inform you what type of intervals you’ll be riding and are also useful post-ride. If Advanced Charting isn’t enabled you can enable it under XO, Account Settings.

For cycling videos there are channels like Bike the World and Indoor Cycling Videos on YT.
You can also search for race coverage which may be spectator-style or in-race footage.

Enjoy the ride.

2 Likes

Thanks, I found the Settings before but somehow didn’t even see the Layout dropdown. Getting old sucks. I can almost hear the brain cells popping - if only I could hear…

The Xert Podcast Episode 9 answers a lot of the questions I brought up in this thread. Might be useful for anyone else searching for answers.