No Trainer Control (on Rouvy)

Hi
I tried to control the smarttrainer (Tacx Neo2T) by XERT while doing time trial mode on Rouvy (not workout mode!) The control of the trainer was switched of in Rouvy and switched on in Xert (ANT).

Results: 1st No control of the trainer by Xert, i.e. I had to adapt power output myself by pedaling harder and/or shifting gears
2nd Power output as displayed by Rouvy and by Xert differed by 10 to 20 Watts. I read something about powermatch-option but have no clue where to find this.

So it was difficult to focus on target power. No automatic control and unsure about wattage.

Any thoughts on how to resolve these problems.

Are you trying to use Rouvy as background entertainment similar to riding in Zwift world while performing a workout on EBC?

Trainer control with EBC works best with BLE.
Power match is automatic when you have paired EBC with both trainer control and a separate power meter on bike.

Excellent advice. I just tested successfully:
1st Trainer control (Tacx Neo 2T) with Xert EBC (Android) with Bluetooth
2nd in Rouvy connect Power with separate power meter (Rotor) of my bike

Power match seems to be working fine. Probably one must observe this exact order.

I guess, if I didn’t have a second power meter, it wouldn’t have worked properly. Nor if I had used Xert from my Garmin Edge?

Yes, Rouvy is background entertainment but also needed for recording mileage, hours, climbing, TSS and so on.

What would I have to take into consideration if I wanted to use the remote player? I suppose nothing much as it would just show what power is registered by the power meter.

Is there a difference of the Android apps “Xert” and “Xert EBC”? Can I remove “Xert”?

If you are just looking for something to watch while riding workouts on EBC, you can use the Sessions Player with a YT video of your choice. Or select an appropriate workout from the Sessions Library that is already paired with a Bike the World (Open Road) video.
The route isn’t ridden as a virtual SIM but serves as background entertainment while you complete a workout on EBC. However, you can optionally ride a Bike the World route as a SIM by following Open Road’s instructions here (assuming you subscribe to Open Road) –

The Sessions Player is the enhanced version of the Remote Player. Either can be used to watch the workout being run on EBC. The Sessions Player includes the option to display a YT video, along with ability to zoom in/out on the power chart (10-minute window or full chart), plus chat and leaderboard features when used in a group session.
The Remote Player displays a traditional blue block power chart plus a workout stats box.

Android “Xert” is the original app while EBC is the current app with the latest features. You can remove the old version.

1 Like

Hi ridgerider2

Interesting the possibility of Bike the World. Currently, I have a paid Rouvy subscription for various reasons.

Instead of just performing the proposed Rouvy routes at random power (most of the time with too much effort), I prefer integrating Xert workouts. My power is controlled by Xert whilst still applying real gradients of Rouvy. Obviously if power by Xert is lower than in real live on a steep gradient this just means I advance at a slower pace.

I see three major advantages:
one I can count on a structured workout, smaller risk of overtraining
two I don’t have to shift gears all the time and
three I can choose cadence freely. My knees are grateful :slight_smile:

I try to integrate Remote Player as it gives me additional information on my TV screen.

2 Likes

Hi Werner,

I’m a Rouvy using Xerter as well. I also like the realism of videos progressing at a realistic pace…even if I’m recovering up a slope and hitting 140% downhill!!!

I run a Kikr Core, controlled via Xert on iPhone with Bluetooth. Rouvy is running on aTV. Some how (I know not why or how), Rouvy can take the power reading from the Kikr (using Bluetooth) even when the Kikr is controlled by Xert. The power always matches.

Interestingly this does not work with RGT. I need to have RGT read the power from my Garmin pedals - similar to what you are doing with your Rotor. This means RGT reads a noisier power signal - but the ride summaries and effort stats are always the same.

Hi scottsbell
Thank you for sharing your experience.
How do you handle the fact that xert-workouts and rouvy routes take a different amount of time? I haven’t figured out e.g. how I can pause a workout, add a new route on Rouvy and continue the original Xert-workout.
Also with two powermeters I still have rotor powermeter indicating roughly 20 Watts more than my smarttrainer. Recently the so-called powermatch didn’t work as expected.
Regards
Werner

Hi
Today I did a Xert workout (XSS 130) and compared the power measured by Xert-controlled Smarttrainer Tacx Neo2T and simultaneously measured by crank powermeter Rotor. There’s a huge difference when I analyze them in Xert. How is this possible and which is correct?

Regards
Werner

Looks like a standard 4x5 VO2max workout. What was the name?
Did you happen to view the workout in Workout Designer before riding it?
It should look like the top chart which is how the workout should have felt if your signature is valid and the Tacx unit is within +/-1% accuracy as claimed.
The second chart shows a very hard workout with BT moments on 4th and 5th intervals and a difficulty level off the chart (unreasonably so). That would boost XSS significantly.

Has your crank powermeter been calibrated and zeroed recently?
You mention a 20 watt difference in a post above. That would certainly skew the results.

The workout name was “Smart - Somebody Told Me 75” Endurance, Strain Score 128 XSS.
Before riding I viewed the workout designer.
The signature was updated the previous day with a bronze breakthrough on a virtual race on Rouvy. The crank powermeter is calibrated. I feel that the 1st graph is probably correct but why is the second way out of bounds? Soon I would like to do more outdoor trainings including xert workouts. For this I need to know the proper FTP. If I train according to indoor figures, the outdoor training will be too easy as the crank powermeter is roughly 20 Watts higher. How can I adjust so that indoor as well as outdoor I practice at the right intensity and power? Should I do separate FTP tests in- and outdoor i.e. for each powermeter? How can Xert account for any difference?

Go to that activity, view details, select Advanced MPA tab, enter a TP 10 watts lower beneath the chart and click Refresh. Watch what happens to the analysis. Now try 10 watts even lower and hit Refresh. This demonstrates why the two charts are so different.

I don’t have a solution to your problem but perhaps someone else will chime in.
My powermeter and trainer aren’t that far apart and whenever I use the trainer Powermatch is enabled (bike meter paired to Power, trainer paired to Trainer Control).

1 Like

If the OP isn’t doing that, there’s your answer :sunglasses: :+1:

Edit: I see the desire to use Rouvy in parallel. Depending on your setup you could use power matching via Bluetooth for Xert, and connect the powermeter via ANT+ for Rouvy (if it’s a laptop with a dongle), or use North Pole CABLE device to convert the ANT+ signal to another Bluetooth channel eg if it’s an iPad or AppleTV.

1 Like

I reviewed the higher power output with Advanced MPA. And in fact corrected by roughly 20 Watts the two graphs correspond.
Today I did another Xert test ride (Smart Song 2) with the two powermeters. Xert controlls my smarttrainer and Rouvy reads the crank powermeter. Before that as sugested by you, I calibrated the Rotor crank powermeter. And as you can see the result is virtually identical. Thank you for providing this great advice of calibration. It wouldn’t have crossed my mind that one should calibrate every now and then. Now my problem is solved.

3 Likes