New Xert Academy Videos on using Xert to Improve!

Ok, so I understood correctly I think. It IS just time based as far as time translates to XSS. So if I did a lot of low intensity riding I might be able to achieve 5 stars even if I don’t raise my TP a lot right? Likewise I might raise my TP significantly without achieving 5 stars.

1 Like

You’re exactly right!

1 Like

I’m curious why adding a workout to the planner does not seem to make it your selected workout when opening EBC or IQ app? Even trainer tab doesn’t show it so what is the point ?

Workouts added to the Planner can become selected workouts if you configure Goals to reflect your normal start time for activities.
By default the Training Status/Advice of is set to end of day (11:59pm). Some users assign 1:00am for beginning-of-day but you could set a time to reflect a normal workout time such as 7am.
I forget what the time window is but if you start EBC within X minutes of that time your planned workout will become the selected workout.
Otherwise the Planner is just that. A “planned” activity but you always have the option to do something else. :slight_smile:
I prefer end-of-day advice and like to manually select workouts which can include last minute changes. YMMV

EDIT: As @idefix mentions you can edit the start times for workouts added to the Planner. The default time is whatever your Status/Advice as of is set to.
When you start EBC within 2 hours of that time the app will recognize the planned activity as your selected workout. The actual start time is updated when the activity is saved.

1 Like

You can actually edit the time the workout in planner is supposed to happen (open it after dragging it into the planned day to set the time) and then when that time comes, or rather an hour before or something like that (can’t remember the exact time) it automatically becomes your selected workout.

2 hours before* :smiley:

FWIW, I really only use the planner to give myself a rough idea of what my week might look like in terms of intensity/hours, planned recurring rides, etc. More often than not, I end up removing all the planned activities anyways and go for the day-to-day approach that allows for some last minute adjustments based on how I feel, HRV, etc. (similar to @ridgerider2 ).

1 Like

Same here. Sometimes I drop some ideas into the planner and check what could work (not too red) and then I remove it all and do whatever I feel like.

At least if I’m not in a couch phase and won’t do anything that might be considered training at all :wink: 
I’m still no athlete, just a fan of Xert smart workouts and all the data. I will get up off the couch sometime again and train on a bike for a few weeks or months or swim or run or whatever until I get bored or lazy again.
I’m so bad at it that Xert should not even work for me but if the signature is correct it still does. I’m a fan of “no decay” mode as well because it’s nearly perfect in keeping the signature correct and I can do whatever I want, all out if it’s fun or weeks or even months without hard efforts as well.

But I know how to do what Mordy wants to do so I tried to help.

Could the videos be numbered as it is unclear, to me at least, in which order they are supposed to be played.

1 Like

Agreed. Best if they are numbered in some manor as I am sure people will stumble onto them searching YT and not realize they are meant to be watched in order by series.
Series 1 Discover: Mastering Xert - Discover Your Fitness - YouTube
Series 2 Improve: Mastering Xert - Improve! - YouTube
Series 3 Perform: (pending) :wink:

3 Likes

So in the video about planning and adaptive suggestions, you talk about how if you’re tired you get a suggested endurance activity instead of harder intervals. But what if you’re always tired when train time comes because every day you ride the calendar then marks the next day as tired? Just curious I haven’t used it long enough to see how things are changed up.

Also, this is more of a subjective answer depending on the person I suppose, but how do you figure you’re tired? Like I did a race yesterday but it was only 35 minutes. It was hard and all but I don’t really feel that tired today. I know I can adjust the freshness setting, but this is more a question of knowing when I should adjust it. I can tell I did the race yesterday so maybe I am tired. I bet I could do a pretty good ride later today though too. So maybe I’m not that tired
 just a wee bit tired :grin:

There is a BIG difference between saying that “you’re tired” vs. “you have tired status”. Our system only knows the latter and can’t possibly know the former from just your power data. Hence, if you’re not really tired and wish the system to give you a more challenging workout, you can move the Freshness Feedback slider over or you could just pick and more challlenging workout. It’s not uncommon to see several weeks of tired training status if you are apt to do intensity even on days when you should be riding easy. But from the calendar, you’ll be able to ascertain that if you’ve had many weeks of yellow, you’re starting to play with fire in terms of overtraining and you may want to pay more closer attention to the signs. Taking some recovery time or reducing intensity is something you’ll want to do to avoid that.

2 Likes

Yes I totally get that part. I already played with the freshness slider a bit to approximate how I feel.

I was more asking, if suppose I don’t play with the freshness slider and the system is marking me as tired every day, would it never suggest hard activities? I think I can actually just go play with this in the planner and see for myself. I’m just being lazy :grin:

Google “xert training status” and you should see:

If you’re yellow, you should generally see Endurance workouts prescribed.

Yes that’s what I’m seeing. I experimented a bit with the planner and can see the same thing. So my question is, if you’re always yellow you never get the harder interval workouts. Is this just the Xert way of saying to take a day off?

Before I set my freshness level a bit differently, one of my workouts previously turned me yellow a whole week. I thought that was a little extreme so I adjusted the freshness in response. I think at the time my FTP was being estimated too low though. I’m just coming back from off season and hadn’t done much to try hard lately. So this last week I had two breakthrough races now that I’ve started up a bit more seriously. Maybe the long yellow week was a result of the hard effort compared to what the system thought my FTP was at the time.

Anyway, super fun playing with it. I’ll stick with it for a season! Just wanted to make sure I don’t get assigned endurance training for the rest of forever đŸ˜”â€đŸ’«

If you follow XATA recommendations you’ll get back to blue since you’ll only ride endurance activities, allowing high and peak form to recover
 after that it would recommend harder activities again (depending on phase, athlete type etc).

It really shouldn’t be called tired status though, as it’s not at all suggesting a day off or even a super easy day. It’s actually the mechanism to polarise your training to prevent getting overly fatigued, rather than saying you already are overly fatigued

4 Likes

I think many people might start to realize that they were going too hard, too often as they come to Xert from other platforms. You’ll see this when there are extended periods of yellow training status (yellow for days, weeks, even months for some!). If you’re not allowing your high intensity systems to recover adequately, you may not be getting as much out of a HIIT session as if you wait patiently for a couple of extra days for the freshness to fully return.

1 Like

Excellent videos.
After unsubbing 5 months ago, watching these has prompted me to sign up to Xert again.
No platform is perfect, but there many features of Xert which I greatly miss.

Most of all is the simple fact that I was definitely at my fitness/strongest while using Xert as opposed to it’s competitors.

Now if I can just get it to sync with Garmin Connect 5 months worth of activities :grimacing:

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words Travis!

That’s exactly what this video series is all about - explaining how Xert works and showing you how to use Xert as a tool for your training.

Cheers!

Yep, a much better delivery method than the podcasts or documentation.

Good news - Garmin Connect completed syncing no problem.
Bad news - The workouts are still really bloody hard :frowning: :sweat_smile:

Same experience here.
No burnout, higher peaks achieved, and continuing to improve.