New Xert Academy Videos on using Xert to Improve!

If you follow XATA recommendations you’ll get back to blue since you’ll only ride endurance activities, allowing high and peak form to recover… after that it would recommend harder activities again (depending on phase, athlete type etc).

It really shouldn’t be called tired status though, as it’s not at all suggesting a day off or even a super easy day. It’s actually the mechanism to polarise your training to prevent getting overly fatigued, rather than saying you already are overly fatigued…

4 Likes

I think many people might start to realize that they were going too hard, too often as they come to Xert from other platforms. You’ll see this when there are extended periods of yellow training status (yellow for days, weeks, even months for some!). If you’re not allowing your high intensity systems to recover adequately, you may not be getting as much out of a HIIT session as if you wait patiently for a couple of extra days for the freshness to fully return.

1 Like

Excellent videos.
After unsubbing 5 months ago, watching these has prompted me to sign up to Xert again.
No platform is perfect, but there many features of Xert which I greatly miss.

Most of all is the simple fact that I was definitely at my fitness/strongest while using Xert as opposed to it’s competitors.

Now if I can just get it to sync with Garmin Connect 5 months worth of activities :grimacing:

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words Travis!

That’s exactly what this video series is all about - explaining how Xert works and showing you how to use Xert as a tool for your training.

Cheers!

Yep, a much better delivery method than the podcasts or documentation.

Good news - Garmin Connect completed syncing no problem.
Bad news - The workouts are still really bloody hard :frowning: :sweat_smile:

Same experience here.
No burnout, higher peaks achieved, and continuing to improve.

Are you completing the hard ones at 100% intensity or dialing things down to finish them?
IME the hard ones recommended are doable although some go right to the edge of that cliff. :wink:
What is an example workout you struggled with?

Yeah SMART - 4x8 min @ 150XSSR at 100% this morning. Failed but got further than I thought I would after Deadlifts & Squats yesterday.
Definitely pushed me on the edge of that cliff for a long time. Think I would have completed it without fatigue already present.

Enjoyed the small improvements of the Session Player UI since last time I used it.

That is a 3-1/2 diamond workout from the Coach shared folder.
I take it you are at 3 stars status or higher at the moment.
Normally a workout matching your difficulty level should be achievable at 100% but no doubt deadlifts/squats the day before is a contributing factor. :wink:
Was it one of the top recommended workouts or something you selected on purpose for the challenge?
Was your form yellow, blue or green?

Related –

POLL: How often do you complete XATA recommended indoor workouts at 100%? - General - Xert Community Forum (xertonline.com)

Yes, just nudged up to 4stars yesterday which is nice.
It was a recommended workout, I only ever select a recommended workout. Tomorrow I’ll be trying SMART - Ready to Start which will be a real challenge. Although I’m 4 star, that is mostly achieved from my outdoor power. Indoors things to get really really difficult at around 100 Difficulty, when I can do it much easier outdoors.

I just wanted to +1 and say that this video series is great and that they clarify a lot of questions that I had when I joined the platform a month and a half ago. Thanks for the time you’re putting into them Scott. Looking forward to the 3rd of the series!

I think you may enjoy that style of hard workout.
Initially I dreaded the possibility of the Ronnestad workout but then learned I do well with spikey intervals. My nemesis is V02 max efforts longer than 2 minutes. But red spikes in a row with just enough blue in between are my thing. YMMV
With workouts like Ready to Start you’ll notice the intervals taper down by the last set (by watts, duration, count or combo) as fatigue sets in and difficulty increases. That is a major benefit of Xert’s curated SMART workouts. Survive the hump and you should do fine with the rest. Plus you can preview expected results in Workout Designer against your current signature. Should you decide to design workouts of your own, the same principals apply. You’ll know if your creation is going to be Frankenstein or not before you ride it. :slight_smile:

@ManofSteele Is that really true? In my understanding, if you follow the XATA to the point, whenever your status turns back to blue or green, you will be asked to add intensity (assuming your athlete type is set to >20min). And that will put you back to yellow for that day right after uploading the workout.
So looking retrospectively at the planning calendar that would leed to see yellow only for the whole past.
Now it sounds like that (following XATA 100%) is a bad thing to do?
Or did I get something wrong?

You’re correct, in a sense. But think of it this way - if using XATA, you’re only going to start HIIT sessions when fresh (though you might not see this is you have your training status ‘As Of’ time set to the end of the day). So although you may see lots of yellow in the calendar, you’re only dipping back into HIIT when you’re recovered and ready to go!

On the other hand, what I’ve seen (in many different users’ accounts) from users that are racing Zwift races multiple times per week or are doing hard intervals 3+ times per week, they’re starting many of those HIIT sessions from a yellow status (only pushing them further into the yellow for an even longer period of time). Hopefully that makes sense!

Yes, makes sense, thank you.

I always wonder how those (with 3 races per week and such) manage their fatigue…