Multiple Activities - Whether to merge?

My general setup to do the Xert daily magic buckets is as follows -

I open Garmin 540 or the iOS app and connect it with my Zwift Wahoo Kickr 2 (without resistance).

Open Zwift ride and complete it. If one ride is not enough to complete the daily suggested XSS then I choose another route on Zwift and continue this way till the buckets are filled.

Once the exercise is complete, I discard the activity from my 540 so that it doesn’t sync with Xert (as the distance and other data fields like ascent are most of times incorrect).

This setup helps me work two things at once

  • Complete daily XSS
  • Complete my distance target

I wanted to ask whether multiple activities one after another saved as distinct files affect the performance analysis in any way on Xert? For example, I cannot assess durability if individual activity is less than for 2 hours but quite often my daily rides exceed this limit.

I tried experimenting by merging files only on Xert but somehow the distance of Merged activity D was not equal to A+B+C activity. I did not look for any other variation other than KMs on Xert merged file.

What could be the best setup in the given case considering my requirements?

Hmm… I use the merge feature all the time for my Zwift races - I merge my warmup with the actual race.

Total distance should be equal to the smaller rides… I checked several of mine and that was the case for me:

Changes in elevation probably depend on where the start/end elevation of each ride is. (although TBH, I don’t really care too much about those :man_shrugging: - they’re indoor rides, so it’s all kinda made up anyways. For Xert’s sake, I just care about the XSS, MPA, etc.)

In my case, I feel that merging is worth it. I just send the merged file to Strava afterwards. Then I don’t clutter up my strava feed with 3 separate activities every day. I have one file that is my warmup, race, & potentially cool-down all merged & sent to Strava as one ride. YMMV.

I agree that the ascent does not make much of a difference for indoor rides. But it is not limited to ascent only. The distance is also off, which I would like to avoid.

I am sharing my today’s merged rides. I did total ~52KM riding across 4 activities. However Xert says 130.60 KM for the merged file.

We can take a look. Thanks!