Loving the new Beta Remote Player

Hi Scott, will you launch new remote player any time soon? Its winter time in northern hemisphere, so its ideal time.

2 Likes

I think that the new remote player that is currently in beta has a lot of bells and whistles in it and I can see where it can go in so many directions. I suspect that for right now they are happy to have it working and under test, but may have other more important programming efforts to finish. I suspect they are worried that if they launch the beta workout player with the video app, nearby riders and chat, that it will be too much to support when bugs start showing up. I use it when I use Xert because even without video it is a really nice interface. It is cool to see other riders and though I am not interested at present in chat that is cool to. So the basic interface is nice and works for me, with video it works pretty well also, could probably use a couple of tweaks but… over all it is there and it can be used though I am not certain how many people they want on it Armando has not told anyone they can not use it.

As @skinner_ron mentioned, there is a lot of moving parts with this update, and we’re hoping that the new features will draw many new users, so it’s imperative that we have things working smoothly & work out all the major potential bugs.

I’m certain that everyone will be pleased when it’s openly available for everyone! Hopefully not too much longer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know it’s a little late for making suggestions, but maybe my most wanted feature is already integrated:
Will it be possible to use the workout player just as a pure trainer control without selecting a workout?
A “open” mode (where I can use slope mode and erg mode and put in erg values on the fly) with a lap button (with the basic stuff like avg power, avgHR, elapsed time, and maybe fancy stuff like max power, yada yada) would be magnificent.
Sure, I can fall back on “Open120” or something like that, but I then would not see my lap numbers.
I’m not sure if I explained clearly enough what I mean, hope it makes any sense to you :slight_smile:

I doubt that will ever be part of the remote player. The Xert purpose of the remote player is only a viewer for your workout on a PC/ bigger screen. All control comes from either the android or iOS app. They have mentioned before they have no intent to control workouts from the PC platform. You can sort of do what you are talking about in the regular apps already. I doubt there is much uptake of these features though so you are probably an edge case and that is unfortunate.

The new remote player version has the ability to play videos with the workout widgets overlaid on the video. The video is just a form of distraction right now but what I suspect the plan is to be able to do group workout, and see everyone’s video feed, their efforts (ie who is close to you and how they are doing) and to have the ability to chat in app.

By “workout player” do you mean XM on your smartphone? That has manual control of your trainer without loading a workout. Perhaps not a lap function but you can change modes and define custom fields. Do you mean generate a workout profile chart on-the-fly as it’s ridden? You can effectively do that now with manual control of the trainer, but the chart isn’t visible until the activity is saved.
What this thread is discussing is the ability to enable the remote player/monitor on XM so you can view the session on a tablet or PC at XO. Plus overlay it on Youtube, Fulgaz, Zwift, etc.

Yes, sorry, I should have been more clear. I mean the App on the smartphone. I assume that the apps get an overhaul as well as both things depend on each other, no? I mean you already can have xert and Zwift/Zoom/whatever on the same screen, so I don’t quite get the point of the overlay thing … What I would really like is what you mention lacks: a visible chart of a free ride and laps.
And I don’t know how to start the player without firing up a workout. I always have to choose “free endurance” at least. But maybe that’s just me being stupid … I would not rule that out :stuck_out_tongue:

The new Remote Monitor Beta (I prefer to call it that to avoid confusion :slight_smile: ) supports transparency so you can overlay it on a video playing in background rather than tucking around the perimeter of the screen. Same on Zwift.

Not sure how the iPhone app works but If you start an Activity on XM for Android (3.5.2.0) you can swipe to the Workout screen and change Mode to Resistance or ERG and adjust % or watts. Now swipe back to Activity, tap and hold on a field, and pick what you want displayed for that entry.

2 Likes

Very excited to stumble across this thread! Those screenshots look great.

Hi, I tried to use beta remote player with opera, Chrome and edge, but I can’t activate transparency mode.
I’m on windows 10, do I need to do something in the os parameters?

We ended up going a slightly different direction. Rather than fully overlaying our stuff over the video, we now will be overlaying around the video.

EDIT: We may still offer a full screen version with transparent gauges, etc.

Still lots of internal testing going on :slight_smile:

Ok , bon courage.

in the sessions screen, what are the definitions for MPA and Intensity. Is it just w/kg? Is the MPA dynamic or static? We did a session today and the MPA didn’t seem to move. Thanks!

Hey Thomas,

Great question! Some people don’t want to publicly share their specific data (Threshold Power, MPA/Peak Power), so we did some math to normalize every athlete’s power output to one another using their Fitness Signature and displaying their MPA & power using Intensity.

It’s not displayed in W/kg, but you’ll find that the intensity value is normalized to a common PD curve. When an athlete is riding at ~4.0 Intensity, they are riding at approximately their LTP. When riding at ~5.0 intensity, they’re riding at approximately Threshold Power. Peak Power is usually displayed around 16.0 - 20.0.

This gives the Xert Sessions a bit of a different feel to Zwift & other virtual riding platforms who only use power and weight. In Xert, your position (relative to others in the session) will be based on how you’re performing, relative to your own abilities. In this way, it allows events like our Virtual Paris to Ancaster Virtual Race to be won by athlete’s that push themselves to their personal limits, rather than simply the rider who produces the greatest power output. Different feel than Zwift, RGT, etc.

Hope this helps!

1 Like