Let's See Your BREAKTHROUGHS! 💥

Big bump! Nice.

1/2 the bump erased the loss from decay….so real gain is about 9 watts from the last TP breakthrough which is still a big improvement

1 Like

Great work! :slight_smile:

Minor decay reset back to my apparent ceiling for this season.
Keep accumulating PRs on Strava but I’m not a segment hunter. Just riding routes and climbs faster than in years past with occasional hammering.

I purposely selected this BT workout from the library since it was close to my XSS goal for the day – (2) Xert - Workout Designer (xertonline.com).

This is the type of workout I would have pushed a bit more on if it had been a group session. At least one more interval was possible but I started skipping every other one.
Once you talk yourself into taking a “short break” you’ve missed the opportunity since MPA climbs back rather quickly. :wink:

1 Like

Looks hard to me! Difficulty score says it all.

Another breakthrough today on a 60 mile outdoor ride, I had being planning this one all week and it worked out. It was an all out effort with very little gas left in the tank as I crested the hill.

Started Xert mid July, continuous, slow decay. Rate of improvement seems to be accelerating a little since I started……300 watt TP goal is within reach! If only I could lose 20lbs also :frowning:

3 Likes

MTB ride (and no structure) with company for the early part = frequent stop and wait. Solo at the midpoint and took off. Long break : ( to help some riders navigate and find their way out. Finished up ride on the gas and pushed it to the end. Headed into this after a week off the bike. Some trail work and a couple runs. Fun to be back in the woods again and reset the signature in prep for winter base and fitness building.

3 Likes

Hi, new here my first BT :slight_smile: . Outside 140km hilly

2 Likes

89km few intervals UP :slight_smile:

1 Like

The last one I got a few weeks ago…

Thanks to the BT Fitness Test 2. Short and “easy” to do :slight_smile:

PS: I should have pushed a few more seconds on the last interval instead of to follow the instructions on the screen, I believe that I would have improved my TP.

2 Likes

Upss I did it again 2BT In one ride :slight_smile: 108km

1 Like

Did a short Zwift race again. Nice gold BT I think

3 Likes

A Fulgaz weekly challenge on ATV - using EBC on the Ipad

Good increase in HIE as I held the power well after the BT. Good difficulty score for me as well.

4 Likes

Managed a No Decay breakthrough in this morning’s group session - I’d call it more of an adjustment, rather than a breakthrough, haha! But I guess that just means that Xert has my fitness dialed in!

4 Likes

Curious. When selecting breakthrough workouts is there an advantage to workouts where the breakthrough is mid-ride versus towards the end? Curious as to when to choose what. Had a nice BT today on Break on through to The other side

2 Likes

In general, the lower you can pull MPA towards your threshold, the better off you’ll be. It helps Xert identify where your threshold should be.

Where you get the BT in the workout doesn’t really matter. If doing something like Ronnestad’s, I generally do my best effort on the second set. When doing something like Billat 30-30’s (which is what your activity here looks like), I judge it mostly by RPE and MPA, generally increasing my effort as I progress through the workout. By the last ~3 reps, I’m usually working about 100W below my MPA and aiming to hold it steady until I pull MPA all the way down to my power output (if that makes sense).

Thanks - my question was really more about selecting a prebuilt BT workout. I notice some have the the BT about 20-30 min in while others (like the one i did) have them towards the end.

My experience with this one was exactly as you described.

As @ManofSteele mentions there no real advantage when the BT occurs but it’s best to tackle a BT workout when your form is fresh (blue/green).
This article details the four types of BTs (pull, push, multiple, near) and the signature values targeted.
Breaking Through the Xert Way! – Xert (baronbiosys.com)
When you search the library for “breakthrough” the thumbnail charts show the type of BT they are designed to solicit.

You might also decide to “go for it” on any high intensity workout that has the potential (see MPA graph profile). In this case switch from AUTO to Slope mode during the workout so you can maximize your effort independent of target watts and duration when “that moment” arrives. :slight_smile:

Thanks, I will read the article. Based on those breakthrough type descriptions I imagine I’ll find my answer there.

Ty all

First Zwift “Not a race” group ride of the season :hot_face:

2 Likes