Let's See Your BREAKTHROUGHS! 💥

This is a bit different from the normal BT MPA images we see. A 100Km ride - very steady MPA - keeping well under TP and I pushed at the end to get inside 3 hours. PP peaked by 17 watts.
As I start riding my bike outside I think that will go up as I cannot really sprint on my turbo bike.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Tuesday I was feeling fairly strong after taking it easy for a week. I decided to go out a little harder and see if I could grab a breakthrough to refresh my numbers. I didn’t really have a strategy; just attack the hills and keep the pressure on. The result was a really fun ride and a gold breakthrough!

I still felt that my peak number was still a little low. So today, rather than change my planned ride, I decided to simply augment it with some good, solid, sprint efforts. Success! Bronze result for peak power.

4 Likes

Nice work! Breakthroughs are like a nice little pat on the back, reassuring you that you’re improving from your training!

Done another training crit this morning and another BT :muscle:t2:

2 Likes

After having had a nice fakethrough yesterday that pulled my signature down I got a sweet gold breakthrough in today’s race :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Just Zwift ride :slight_smile:

I’ve been using Xert for a few months now and I gotta give kudos to the team for developing a pretty robust and flexible training framework. I’ve been riding harder lately since starting back at the beginning of the year so here are three breakthroughs from this month.

I need to try for some gold breakthroughs.

Indoor:

Outdoor 1:

Outdoor 2:

1 Like

In the middle of a 100k road race. Remember the exact moment as I had to dig really deep over the top of a drag so as not to get dropped off the group!! It’s about as accurate a breakthrough effort as I have ever seen. I was very close to blowing up!!

3 Likes

This is my first breakthrough in about 4.Months. I was so focused on my events that I just could not find time to try for one (I did have 5 near breakthroughs over this period). The cool thing about this one is it came 2 days after completing a 10,000 ft continuous climb in Maui to the top of Haleakala volcano…. Which means I could have done more if I was fresh :grin:.

1 Like

Great work Randall! Which decay method were you using during that time? Do you feel that the signature was underestimated?

I was using slow but switched to moderate decay after derating my ftp due to weight loss. I had several challenges during this period. Loss of weight (12lbs-intentional) and manually adjust TP down by 15 watts (feel) as a result-not finishing sessions , 5 events (last 2 being the target events), learn new skills (gravel event). I guessed my signature was low but frequency of training, intensity and ramp training load did not provide an opportunity for a breakthrough effort. I guess with my events completed and on vacation, I could throw caution to the wind and put the hammer down :grin: without having to worry about recovery and having enough energy for the next sessions.

1 Like

Anotha’ one!

I was doing some 30/15’s with EBC on my Thursday interval route. When I was heading out, I wasn’t planning to go all-out for a Breakthrough, but couldn’t help myself once I looked down and saw my MPA below 500 W :wink:

3 Likes

So to answer your original question I believe my new TP is underrated for climbing by 3-5 watts but is probably correct for flats and TT

2 Likes

Sneaky Bronze PP Breakthrough on the trainer doing one of the Opener workouts, PP now above 1500W

2 Likes

Two weeks off-bike due to illness and after a week of easy riding decided to do a BT effort indoors using “Xert Fitness Test for Breakthrough Version 2”. I think I left some on the table, which is fine, not trying to ruin myself right now anyways!

3 Likes

Gold BT on a outdoor ride up a monster hill. Very happy about this as I was worried I was losing fitness because I have been riding less for the last 6 weeks. My new FTP is lower than my peak from last year but my watts/KG is at a new peak because of weight loss.

6 Likes

Just went to play outside in my lunch break

5 Likes

Went in pretty rested intending to test my signature and get a BT. Got a silver, although the app maybe faked me out a bit and told me I’d gotten a BT much earlier than I actually did, I think.

I switched to slope for the last segment as per directions for the “Under Pressure” workout, which allowed me to keep going beyond what the workout was “drawn” to do. I think I botched the directions a bit, and I started the sprint too early though. I might have benefited from staying at 125% TP for longer. Instead, I started sprinting as soon as the last bit of higher difficulty burst interval occurred and then held the sprint as long as I could.

Overall I really liked this workout. It had been a month since my last BT and wanted to tune up my signature so it worked great for that.

5 Likes

Have been doing the Under Pressure protocol (ish) outside for BTs this season, and my signature was getting stale. Also have had a month off of serious training, with 4 weekends of partying/weddings. In that time my CP(calculated) went from 345 to 332 on slow decay and 3-5hrs/wk without any structure.
So I was very pleased with yesterdays ride home from work. I also rode in to work in the morning, 55mins at a tempo/sweetspot intensity, into a headwind, pressed for time :sweat_smile:

Do I need to use an even slower decay model to reflect this in the future?

3 Likes