Let's See Your BREAKTHROUGHS! 💥

First BT since joining \o/ … is the correction of decay since joining /o\ :slight_smile: I see MPA continues to go down after I take my foot off the throttle - this is coming. Is this some kind of lag in MPA calculation or so? Hard to tell in the heat of the moment, but on my Karoo it did look like I was above MPA longer than that.

Here’s the zoom for the BT. Seems like a 5s lag or so on this graph too (5s av power maybe at play, and I do display instant power on the Karoo).

What kind of slack are you doing?

16W TP increase… I want to know more about it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The BT report shows your new signature.
If you want to see what occurred during the activity at your old signature values, view the activity details, select the Advanced MPA tab, and click the Previous button.
Technically you can’t exceed MPA so the new adjusted signature will align with that rule.

Aha. The graph with the previous signature is way more fun :slight_smile: and makes sense now, thanks! Hit 528W with MPA at 402W, and was over the MPA for 8 seconds on the old signature.

1 Like

Recently switched to Optimal decay after exiting Base. There was an instant drop from 241 to 236, no biggie. So I decided to try an outdoor BT ride after three days off and got a bronze with a slight bump in HIE. I tried a second BT, but ran out of road (not a huge fan of running stop signs). Overall I feel great after base, especially hanging in for a good group ride this past Saturday. Ready for some build and peak.
This BT is with a different power meter since my P1 Pedals died, so I’ll be in the process of transitioning to this one (Rotor InPower) for the time being. I have others posts of me hating it because it under reads short efforts by 10-12 percent.

2 Likes

From today’s OPEN Breakthrough Session and my first attempt and completion of a Ronnestad workout (A Pain That I’m Used To).
Well worth checking out if you haven’t done one of these group sessions before.
Or organize one of your own with your ride buddies. Beats riding in the rain. :smiley:

4 Likes

Outstanding effort.

That was an amazing workout! Great job!

That looks Nasty!

Still building up from hip replacement in December, getting some long rides in on the weekend and 1-2 intensity rides during the week. Now that we’re in the season, that means Tuesday night time trials. Last night was the 10 miler. Loaded up the Segment Hunter and went for it.

Little bit at a time. Only 5w, but that’s a 3% increase in TP, I’ll take it.

Its a 125’ climb to the turnaround, which you can see in the elevation, and the change in power on the way back. Ended up getting the BT and staying above it for 3 minutes. Absolutely cracked about 100’ before the finish line.

Ride file on Previous Signature:

3 Likes

Great stuff! Love seeing you make a steady, strong comeback! Keep it up!

Thanks! What I like looking at is the Progression over the last year. I’m currently at the same training load (38), but up 18w on TP (157 vs 175). And then looking back a year to see when my next TP bump was, and what I have to do now to stay ahead of it. I have also surprised myself by comfortably managing a +2 ramp rate for the last three months.

1 Like

1 Like

Great work! What’d you think of the famous “Ronnestad” workout?

I think it’s quite fun even though it’s hard. Since the pain doesn’t last so long, it’s doable. I did 310 XSS the day before and 290 the day after. Maybe I repeat it in two or three days.

Saw a warning today that my last BT was 3 weeks ago. So I did the “Xert Fitness Test for Breakthroughs - Under Pressure”

I think I could have done better, but I didn’t have time for a proper setup today :slightly_frowning_face: My shifting system was not set correctly (riding outside last weekend). Anyway, I’m fine with the bump :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Great work! This workout is good for updating Peak Power and HIE, but might not be quite as good for determining Threshold Power (see how little time was spent at/near MPA).

Compare that to an effort like Ronnestad’s or Billats, where MPA is brought slowly towards Threshold over the course of 10+ minutes:

Max Effort Time on this one: 2:08

2 Likes

Averaged 267W over 20min, TP was 254W. Goal was to budge my Strava FTP, so I targetted a 20min 270W ‘lap avg power’. Strava FTP +5W to 255W too. Woo!

2 Likes

Another Tuesday, another time trial, another Breakthrough.

30 minute effort (yes, there was a warmup) that drained me. I was picturing championship finish lines, had nothing more. Short bit of recovery down the road, a couple threshold ‘sprints’, and then I come to the climb to get back home. MPA was still down, felt somewhat decent, so I went for it. All out, for a second time. I’ve not really done that before; usually do my TT effort and then maybe a couple short 10 second bursts going into cooldown.

I am a bit disappointed that I only got +3w (to 178w) though, with the several minutes spent with flatlinde MPA over three efforts.

4 Likes

Now this one is a bit strange. There is currently a contest which involves a weekly strava segment. So I went all in and Xert seems quite impressed by my effort. It was the longest (7:30) segment so far and I haven’t done any long efforts recently…

1 Like