Indoor training with smart trainer

I’m a “reverse season” guy down here in south Florida, training indoors because during the day there’s a typical heat index of 105 degrees. I’m running on a “New” Kickr, Edge 520. I would like to “play” Xert workouts and, to deaden the boredom, free ride in Zwift while doing so. However, I can not figure out how to set this up. I’m looking for the specific settings that work.

Here’s my setup:

1. Zwift on Windows. Connecting via ANT+. No problem running Swift on a standalone basis for free ride or Zwift workouts (but I want Xert Workouts!).
  2. Garmin Edge 520 with the Xert Workout Player “Application” installed. I’ve tested this to work (using a power meter on one of my bikes) on rides outside.
  3. i am using the Kickr for power. I am using a Garmin ANT+ cadence meter. Zwift detects these no problem.

My goal:

1. Use the Edge 520 to “play” the Xert workout.
  2. Have the Kickr controlled (in ERG mode) by the workout player.
  3. Allow me to free ride in Zwift (even though I realize that trainer resistance will NOT necessarily match up with the hills and valleys shown in Zwift).

I realize there’s a video that seems to show exactly what I am describing. However, I am at wit’s end trying to figure out the settings needed on the Edge 520 and Zwift to make this work. I seem to be able to make Swift work alone or the Edge (playing the Xert workout) alone but not both together.

Can you give me the specific cookbook instructions (for Zwift and Garmin 520) to make this work? Thanks.

Remember to remove the trainer from Zwift otherwise it will control it then use the SELECT feature on the Xert Player to configure the trainer. Alternatively, deselect the trainer from the Player (select NONE) and configure it on Zwift. In this configuration, you’ll need to control your power by using your gears.

I want to use Xert Player to control the trainer so that the trainer will track the required wattage on the player. So, as noted, I have to unpair the trainer from Zwift whereupon Zwift says I can’t ride because it has no power data. So, how do I get the power data into Zwift in this configuration?

Also, to control the trainer with Xert player from the Edge 520, do I need to pair the indoor training via the Training/Indoor Training menu?

Also, do you disable the Trainer from the sensors menu? (Xert says to do this).

What do the Power Control and Resistance options in Xert player do? (There’s no documentation other than the most limited on this thing that I can find anywhere).

Really, a cookbook method (exact settings on Xert Player and Swift) would be REALLY helpful.

Basically, I want to confirm I can use the Xert player (Garmin 520) to control the smart trainer to maintain the wattage called for in the Xert Workout while being able to free ride in Zwift (to make it all more interesting). And, how, exactly, to set all this up.

In this configuration, you can’t configure the trainer in Zwift. You’ll have to configure the power meter only.

Follow the FAQs (http://baronbiosys.com/frequently-asked-questions/ third link) and video on the player. Most all the information you need is there. You do need to remove it from your sensors and add it. Power Control means to match the workout power. Resistance means you control the resistance with the buttons.

So, you are saying that if I want to be able to ride in Zwift (free ride mode) while using the Xert Player to control the KICKR, I would need to use a bike that has a separate power meter that Zwift could pair to. Is that correct?

This statement is confusing (seems contradictory): “You do need to remove it from your sensors and add it.” Can you clarify?

Add it to the Xert Player.

So, you are saying that if I want to be able to ride in Zwift (free ride mode) while using the Xert Player to control the KICKR, I would need to use a bike that has a separate power meter that Zwift could pair to. Is that correct?

Zwift should be able to use your trainer’s power meter. Just select it under the power selection panel.

Yes, figured that out. Also figured out all the details to use Zwift mobile link, how to run Xert Player as an overlay on Zwift (windowed mode) as well as how to get “GPS” into .FIT files for upload to Garmin Connect (and, thereby, to Xert) as an alternative to saving from the Xert workout player on the Edge (which doesn’t have the virtual GPS or elevation data of course). Really cool, but not at all obvious how all these parts fit together.