Hammerhead Karoo 2

No, they don’t require a fee. You only pay for your SIM card IF you need it. With RWGPS, you can download your map before you ride with your local Wifi.

And by that I mean Xert Sync is just one step closer.
Stayed tuned for the next step in Karoo’s evolution with Xert.

I wish the Karoo 2 was less than $399USD but it has the extra specs smartphones lack including:

• small form factor
  • rugged case
  • quarter-turn plate (unsure if extra charge or not)
  • IP67 waterproof
  • transflective screen with droplet rejection (rain/sweat)
  • manual buttons (operates without relying on touch; works with gloves)
  • all chips required (BLE, ANT+, Wi-Fi, GPS, barometer, accelerometer, compass, temperature)
  • beeper (not a speaker but a beep is all you need)
  • 10-12 hour battery runtime (not sure if that is for always on)

I wouldn’t likely use the SIM card slot but I imagine a data connection will come in handy for some users and locations.

So this new thing looks interesting…

1 Like

I am not sure yet, but I am convinced that such synchronization is only the transfer of activities from the performed training / activity to the “XERT” platform.
Certainly it is not a “Player” or the possibility of displaying any data / fields from “Smart Xert” training sessions on the counter unit.

My Karoo2 is getting closer, it’s in the Netherlands :slight_smile:
I hope that on Monday / Tuesday the local courier will deliver it to me :slight_smile:

regards

1 Like

Good things come to those that wait. :slight_smile: (not too much longer)

1 Like

“Karoo2” has already arrived.
Two days delivery took me :slight_smile:

You have to “learn” it

best regards

Google Photos

Google Photos

2 Likes

Waiting for your review :slight_smile:
How long did it take between your order and the delivery ? Yeah, I finally ordered mine 3 days ago…

DC Rainmaker just did an article on how to side load apps to the Hammerhead

3 Likes

Mine arrived yesterday, will do first proper ride with it tomorrow.

Looking forward to this option being available…

1 Like

Nice, mine is on its way :slight_smile:
A few comments under Ray’s publication, suggest that Xert should work on the Karoo 2 :smiley:
And I’m lucky because I do use Linux and the required tools are already installed on my system.

PS: and hopefully, it will be possible to sideload Vanced Manager to install Youtube Vanced ! :grinning:

Liking my new K2 A LOT so far. :+1:

Haven’t used the Xert app yet but managed to sideload a bunch of apps including Spotify which works great with my Aftershokz headphones.

One little Xert nitpick - the ride file synced directly to Xert, but Xert didn’t pick up the name that I gave the ride. For example Xert named today’s ride “Moderate Polar Endurance Ride”. Strava shows the correct name.

2 Likes

Where can I sign up to beta test the new app? :wink:

Can you also use it as… a phone ?

Sorry to write back only now.

I pre-ordered “k2” in early September. I then made a down payment of $ 99.
Theoretically, I was to receive the unit at the end of October at the beginning of November. The second wave of “Sars = Cov2” came and it was snail’s eye, in December Hammerhead sent an e-mail to my e-mail that I had logistical problems, that they discovered a design flaw and that they are making changes, but there will be a shipment any moment.

It was only at the beginning of January that I received an e-mail saying that I am classified to “Group G”, so the payment and shipping process is to be completed between January 18th and 25th.
On the night of January 22, I received an email with a link to complete the payment ($ 300) and I did it right away. Again … silence on their part. I suspected the weekend. But as there was no sign from their sotrny or the number to be sent to track it, on Wednesday I sent an e-mail asking for information on what was going on.
Pretty soon they wrote back that the department would take care of it. After several dozen minutes, an e-mail with the tracking number was sent. The shipment was made from … the Netherlands :slight_smile:
On Friday, January 29, a courier knocked on my door;)
So the parcel itself took me two days, but the sales process itself - a massacre.

regards
q.

The “K2” counter itself compared to “Roam” has a very limited number of functions / data that can be displayed.
My first impressions with the setup were terrible - I was convinced that I actually threw the money down the drain.
However, after using the meter for the first time (indoor cooperation) with a power meter, HR, CAD, etc. but she calmed me down a bit;)

Although I still believe that a lot of data is missing that cannot be displayed on the “K2” screen (eg fields how much time is in which HR zone, power zone, no auto-LAP based on either time or distance).
Another incomprehensible limitation is the inability to upload the “MRC” / “ERG” / “ZWO” files with their own training to a directory in the memory. the only option is to sync with … TrainingPeak`s: //
The battery is also a poor matter. Taking into account the “descent” of the capacity during indoor trneing, I suspect that the maximum working time will be about 7-9 hours. This is a very, very poor result :frowning:
even the “Elemnt” ran ~ 10-11 hours.
“Roam” working time is 21-22 net driving hours !!

If it turns out that the navigation works well outside (the maps look very up-to-date and fantastic, 3D!) And the Stravy Live segments also work, then there will be relatively slack.

Currently, despite selecting “MTP” in the developer tools, they are reset to “Charging” after disconnecting the cable from the meter. You have to search for this option every time and toggle it to be able to get to “FitFiles”.
I haven’t done “Sideload” XERT application yet, but maybe I will find some time next weekend;)

best regards
q.

Where is that “Karoo SDK” switch?
I don’t find it, not even in the “Programmer’s Tools”.

regards
q.

I think DRC made a post on how to sideload on the Karoo recently. Maybe you can check that out?

I believe the SDK option only does something once they have plug-in partners available. For now it only shows a sample project.
Currently you have to sideload apps as the DCRainmaker article explains.

So I haven’t tested the Xert/Karoo2 integration yet: does it sync just rides or also pull structured workouts out fo Xert?

At the moment it just syncs your rides to Xert. Some hints here that more integration is coming soon, presumably when Hammerhead fully launch the SDK.

But you could sideload the Xert Android app today and use that.