Gold breakthrough reduced TP by a lot

Hi! I’m getting started with Xert and was previously using TR for a few years. Once my Strava history uploaded I see my TP slightly lower than on TR (235 vs 220) but I understand that as it is calculated differently it doesn’t really matter.

This morning I go for a z2 ride of 2h and to my surprise Xert gives me a gold breakthrough with a new TP of 167!

I am really confused. Is Xert lacking historical data with recent breakthroughs? I’ve been consistently training since my last breakthrough while increasing training load and intensity. Should I do a 20min test?

That looks very strange. Im interested to see what the experts say about this.

Now that I think about it. I haven’t done a proper 20min or max effort in a very long time as TR is now estimating FTP instead of doing the usual ramp test. I wonder if this is why Xert cannot be correctly calibrated.

History looks a bit sparse prior to mid-April to adequately establish a starting signature.
Were the two bronze BTs from long outdoor rides?
How many days/hours per week do you plan to ride moving forward?

A BT on a Z2 level effort shouldn’t be possible. I’d flag the activity (exclude from sig calc) and consider performing a BT workout in slope mode to confirm your current signature. You can do that in as little as 30 minutes. Much easier than a traditional 20-minute test.
Example: Xert - Workout Details (xertonline.com)
Ride entire workout in Slope mode (gears/cadence to meet or exceed targets) and make sure the last interval continues until complete failure. This type of workout could be ridden outdoors if necessary.

Lots of newbie tips posted here – Beginner questions
Academy series videos are the quickest way to get up to speed – Discover + Improve + Perform
FAQs here – Support Home – Xert

Welcome aboard. :slight_smile:

Check for possible data errors or if unsure contact support@xertonline.com and someone will look into it. Doesn’t look right to me.

Were the two bronze BTs from long outdoor rides?

Yes there were long outdoor hard effort ride but not all out.

How many days/hours per week do you plan to ride?

I’d like to maintain 10h/week.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll flag this ride and do the workout you mentioned.

Update:
I have flagged the ride and my TP has dropped to 156 now.

Here is the report of the ride. It seems that my MPA dropped to 0 for a while which seems to have caused the calibration issue?

I have contacted support btw.

Support will straighten out whatever is wrong. Probably some data points need to be nixed.
Once you have a valid signature your Z2 level rides will look something like this.

Lots of blue/aqua (at or below LTP) plus notice the low difficulty (shaded portion of graph).
The MPA line (pink on your report) won’t waver unless you spend enough time above TP to draw it down.

1 Like