Fitness Signature Accuracy - Test?

Yes.

Auto will switch between modes automatically depending on how the interval is defined in the workout.
If you ride a breakthrough test in ERG mode and your signature is not already dialed in the workout can end up too easy. You want too hard :wink: so you are best off riding breakthrough workouts in resistance or slope mode so you can max out the efforts. .
Which mode works best will depend on your trainer.
During warm-up you can experiment with a resistance % or slope starting at 0.0 and get comfortable. Then be prepared to spin up and/or switch gears to hit your target intervals and exceed them if you can. Go all out on the short sprints including jumping out of the saddle.

Thanks for this reply. I usually ride ERG mode in a very low gear to avoid ā€˜bottoming outā€™ so when Auto switched modes I spun out and missed out on my gains!

Iā€™m a huge advocate of doing any sort of maximal efforts in SLOPE mode with the gradient set to 2.0-2.5%. This allows you full control over the effort, and makes sure that you donā€™t get bogged down by an interval in ERG mode. Also, you can keep pushing past an interval if thereā€™s more to give, whereas ERG mode will simply end the interval when itā€™s told to.

We also learn much more about how you fatigue (and therefore your fitness) from seeing how your ability to generate power changes when MPA has been drawn down very low. For example, if you did a 20 min test, Xert doesnā€™t really care about what average power you did for 20 minutesā€¦ Xert is going to look at what power you were generating in the 19th and 20th minute, relative to MPA. And if you finish the 20 min test by continuing to pedal all-out for another 30s or so, youā€™ll get much better results from the system than completely stopping after the 20 min effort. Hopefully that makes sense.

3 Likes

Absolutely true, I did a workout with a 5 min focus. At the end of the session, my MPA was at 60%; I had the energy for a few more 30sec sprints. Which led to a breakthrough. the lesson, it pays to push at the end of a hard workout if you have some energy left in the tank.

IME one workout that works well in Auto mode is Fitness Test for BT Version 3.
I start to falter during the 5 minute effort but if you muddle through that you get a 19 min reprieve :slight_smile: before the final challenge.
I can never wrestle this workout to the ground. It just spits me out. :sob:

1 Like