Fitness Planner scheduled workouts

Hi, I’ve scheduled a few months of workouts in advance as a basic plan to follow, using some smart sessions and other ones you’ve created in the database.
When it comes to the day of a session it seems to disappear from the fitness planner meaning I sometimes need to try remember what I was supposed to be doing, look it up in the workouts directory and load it from there for the Xert player (when you drag it off your favourites list into the current day the workout designer won’t load and it just shows you the description box and signature but no graph or target power).
Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks,

Jack

Hi Jack. The planned activities expire when their time is reached. The default time of day is current 5am so that they get automatically loaded into the players when you wake up in the morning to perform the workout. This means that they expire at 5am too. If you turn off automatically select workout, the workout should appear as the selected workout.

Is there a reason they expire and vanish? I’d rather they remained in my plan until I complete them or delete them, maybe they turn red instead? I find them being removed at expiration slightly counter productive as I like checking the planner to see what session I’ve got in for the day. Is the best thing to change the session time to 11.45pm to keep them in there?

Changing their time is one way to keep them there but then recognize that they’ll be double-counted in your XPMC if you do your workout at 8am but they are scheduled for 11:45pm, at least until 11:45 when the expire. Maintaining the integrity and consistency of the XPMC is the reason why the expire.

That’s fine. I record my workout on a Garmin and upload via strava so would delete the planned workout after anyway else it’d be duplicated.
Just as feedback though it could maybe work better to have a planned XSS and completed XSS field which could be counted at 0 if the workout is missed or whatever XSS the completed workout comes to once ridden?

I’m guessing people use the fitness planner in different ways though.

What happens to the workouts that I’ve “pre-loaded” over the next 30 days if I changed my improvement rate from “Maintenance” to “Moderate-2”? Will it adjust the workouts to be harder automatically? I wanted to see what kind of workouts I’m in store for leading up to my “A” race in December because I am concerned the workouts this week were looking too easy.

Changing from Maintenance to Moderate-2 will require that you train with more time than train with more difficulty for the most part. Hence, your schedule would have to change. XATA does not make changes to your planned schedule. Since schedules and training execution can be quite dynamic, we don’t recommend planning your training more than a week or two into the future.

I appreciate the quick reply, Armando. I’m only a few days into the trial period and I must say that Xert has me very intrigued and excited to train again because of it’s “dynamic” nature. The tip not to plan more than a week or two into the future is very helpful. But now I am second guessing my decision to alter the improvement rate. I believe Maintenance mode was selected based on my past training load and my upcoming event in December, right? Do you think it was a bad idea for me to change it manually and I shouldn’t be doing Moderate-2 during the Base portion of my training?

@xertedbrain so that I understand more clearly, if I go in say today and schedule a workout for this evening, the best way to do so is to make the time later than i expect to actually run it (because I do not know the precise time I will start) so that it will not have expired. Then when the workout is completed if the time is after the scheduled start time then the scheduled WO will have expired and not show on my training? Is that the best procedure for scheduling a workout for the same day or even a few days in advance?

Just select the “Play Now” button and it becomes your next planned workout. Then you can ride it anytime you want.

Yes thanks for that answer, but I was aware of that, what I want to do is set up in advance so that when I want to start I don’t have to find, etc, it is already there and ready to run as per schedule.

But that is how you do it. Once it’s selected and you open the Xert EBC app and select Activity then Select Workout it’s in your current workout section to run.

When you assign a workout to the Planner it remains as your selected workout until start time plus duration is exceeded. For example, a 90-minute workout scheduled for 7:00pm is valid until 8:30pm. Even if the scheduled workout has started with a countdown timer shown on XO, nothing happens until you select it on EBC and start the workout. The Remote/Session Players will restart from the beginning.
Time remaining is only a factor if you schedule a group session where it starts on time and you or others arriving late can join the session-in-progress.

If you want to ride a specific workout on a particular day, you can leave it scheduled for 11:59pm if that is your default As Of time when adding workouts to the Planner. This will ensure it remains selected for that entire day.
If, however, you want to view recommended workouts around the time you expect to workout, you’ll want to change the activity time to reflect that time. The recommended workout list will recast as you tab off the time field (on a PC) or select Show Workouts (on a phone). The workout list may change based upon predicted recovery and how many hours have elapsed since the prior activity and how intense it was.

as always @ridgerider2 you have the answers. I was thinking it worked somewhat as you have described, but as always you share some little nugget that adds to the situation, like the idea of scheduling at 11:59… neat idea. Thanks for your feedback much appreciated and it did clarify this for me.

1 Like