Feature request for Heart rate RR data

I appreciate @xertedbrain ’s comments in a previous post about not wishing to incorporate DFA/Alpha1 into the Xert’s ecosystem as it’s not proven and can give variable results, but would it be possible to incorporate the heart rate RR data in the .fit file generated so that anyone who wants to, can do some post workout analysis on it in without having to simultaneously record the workout on , say, a Garmin.

1 Like

you may have a couple of options:
1- is to log it with HRV logger then merge the files using Runalyze (this works nicely)
2 if you have a newer Garmin such as a 530 you can record RR data in the computer if your heart rate strap send data via bluetooth and has the ability to report RR.
though option 1 works really well it is undeniably a bit of a pain to have to open another app to do this but it does perform the DFA a1 analysis as well once the RR data is merged if not in the file. As well you can download the merged .FIT file from Runalyze. So you can get what you want just not via Xert. I suspect given time and more data that DFA a1 may become an established metric but has not quite reached that plateau yet.

Thanks. I do record to my Garmin simultaneously when I want to look at it post ride. I’ve started using the FatMaxxer Android app to monitor it in real-time. Unfortunately you can’t merge the .CSV file from that with Runalyze.

It could be implemented, but only display if the number of artifacts is acceptable.

If you look at it in Runalyze then that program sorts out any artefact issues from the raw data. I wasn’t meaning for it to be displayed by Xert during the workout.

there are some interesting potential uses for real time DFA a1, but the only live app that is close to useful at this time is FatMaxxer. You want to see the DFA a1 at a resolution of about 5 seconds to get meaningful feedback. One potential use is to assess your readiness for a hard workout. It does however take some prior knowledge. The idea is you watch you DFA a1 vs power during warmup. If the 0.75 point is significant out of step with your norm maybe it is not a good day for a hard effort. Of course the other use may be to ensure that you stay below the aerobic threshold during a workout then that works as well. I can see why at this point Armando is not ready to add this into Xert but with a companion app you can use DFA for a variety of things beyond just determination of threshold.

2 Likes

any official response from the team? @ManofSteele @xertedbrain

Thanks

Recording R-R data? Lots of tools out there for those that are keen on it. DFAa1? Same. Lots of tools out there, many of them free. Still waiting for quality HRMs and DFAa1 to be ready for prime time since there are still a lot of issues that need to be resolved before widespread use by all athletes. Not everyone is going to want to upgrade their HRM for these features at the moment.

Hi Armando, let me explain. What we need is the R-R data recorded in the Fit file so we can use any of those tools to analyze it. We want to be able to use Xert as our primary and only workout recording device, specially indoors. Otherwise, we have to record the activity with Xert AND with Garmin for instance…or bypass Xert all together and just use the app to guide the workout.

This will be just a basic service for customers and its all embeded in how you record the data into the fit file, you don’t need any development for this solution.

Let me know what you think. H

1 Like

We can look to add this feature in the future. Likely not a difficult thing to do. We used to record HR using R-to-R but removed that since there were issues with some HRMs. We just need to slot it into the roadmap and prioritize it with all the other changes we need to make.

2 Likes