Cubot King Kong Mini 2

I am thinking of buying a Cubot King Kong Mini just to use it as head unit for Xert EBC outdoors. Would it be possible without a SIM card inserted in the phone?

Yes it works fine without a sim card fitted.

1 Like

Great!! Thanks very much

2 Likes

Do you recommend any special support to fix it to the handle bar?

Iā€™m using this mount and itā€™s pretty solid. I also have a lanyard attached via the handlebar for extra securityā€¦

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HL7FS6J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_0GBBV9HTQD7M1H2EB62T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

2 questions 1- is there a source for Cubot KKM-2 (ie Amazon.ca) in Canada or ordered from Canada; 2- does this device do Ant+ or only BLE?

I think AliExpress is going to be your best bet pricewise ($99USD).
Took 20 days from order confirmation date to delivery in US from their Hong Kong warehouse.
Import doc valuation was $50USD.

OTOH does Amazon UK ship to CA?

Mini 2 is BLE only.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for a new phone to take with me on Audax rides, and having come across this thread I wondered if anyone can comment on the longevity of the KK2? Also can it run Garmin Express so I can use LiveTrack as Mrs Chopstick worries that Iā€™m going to end up stuck in a ditch on some Godforsaken moor one day? Thanks.

Iā€™m still using mine 1+ year later - no problems. My only regret (thus far) is that I didnā€™t put a screen protector on it earlier. My screen has a few scratches but doesnā€™t affect the functionality.

If youā€™re using it with a cell network, you can use the SPOKZ app for live-tracking on your EBC device. Spokz works really well and only sips the battery. It will live-track all day if you need it to, whereas Iā€™ve found that live tracking from other apps has always been so battery-draining.

My SO installed the SPOKZ app on their phone and now they get a push-notification when I head out for a ride, as well as a live-update every ~20s or so. IMO thatā€™s sufficient to have a rough idea of where Iā€™m at and my approximate distance from home.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t recommend it for outdoor riding as itā€™s not fully waterproof as I discovered in a heavy downpour.

Thank you, Iā€™ll be using it purely as a phone rather than as a head unit, itā€™ll be tucked away in a frame bag. Thanks for the tracking recommendation, Iā€™ll give that a go.

1 Like

Then Iā€™d go with whatever new phone I wanted. :smiley:

I occasionally do pocket rides now with no head unit. Just my phone running EBC and SPOKZ (set to 1 minute) in a jersey pocket. No real need to watch anything but the road ahead, traffic behind, and scenery all around.
IE, a free ride with no particular goal in mind. :+1:

1 Like

Yep me tooā€¦killed by water twice. 1st time it was repaired under warranty, 2nd time I gave up on the returns process, and kept it as an expensive paper weight. Now awaiting a dropoff to the local mobile phone recycling centre.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using mine as my phone and bike computer for 2 years. Flew off the bike twice when the mount broke (adapter was fine).

If it rains, I just put it in my pocket.

1 Like