Community Forum Security Update

Hi Everyone,

In case you didn’t see… our forum recently experienced an influx of spam bot activity. These bots were posting unsolicited content and links across various threads. We have taken immediate action to address the issue:

• Removed All Spam Posts: We’ve deleted all spam content from the forum.
  • Banned Spam Accounts: The accounts responsible for the spam have been permanently banned. :hammer:
  • Enhanced Security Measures: We’ve added additional security checks for first-time users to prevent similar issues in the future.

As always, we remind you to be cautious and avoid clicking on unsolicited links, as they may pose security risks.

We appreciate your understanding and patience as we work to keep our community forum a safe and valuable space for everyone! Thank you for your support!

5 Likes

Maybe a coincidence but I have found an unauthorised transaction (dated 21 Aug) on the card I use to pay my subs.

Very different. These users are registering and then logging in to the forum. More a nuisance than any real security risk. I would contact your bank if you have an strange transactions.

Thanks, Armando. I have already done that. I just wondered whether the interlopers might have been able to gain access to your systems - I’m glad that you can confirm that is not an issue.

Maybe more spam bot removing needed…

On the Discourse instances I manage I’ve resorted to approving the first few posts from new users to combat this, which while a burden has resulted in none of this appearing publicly and the software or people doing it seems to slow down/reduce attempts as a result.

Yeeh. Most of them are being caught now but we should probably do the same.