Advice on initial imports and decay settings

Hi,

I’ve just started using Xert and I’m after some recommendations on the configuration - or how to best processed to make the initial setup as accurate as possible.

A quick background - I’ve been a ‘serious’ recreational cyclist for about 10 years - the occasional cyclocross and road race - and annual trips to the alps. I’m always time crunched and getting on a bit no (50 years old). Also, the last year have had less cycling than before - due to injury and work pressures (should all be back to normal now).

In terms of equipment, I have a smart trainer with power but on the road I will be having to rely on derived XSS from strava imports. Hopefully a power meter soon). I bought a new trainer in November as the old one was ridiculously over estimating my FTP. That was OK for comparison with itself - but not going forward with my new numbers.

So, in terms of data I can import, I have a mix of power-data from my turbo going back to November and a strava road data without power for 2019.

I haven’t really done much in the way of breakthrough work on the new turbo - other than trying a ramp test when I first got it to get an idea on my FTP. I’ve tried importing data and using different signature decay methods and numbers look quite different. So I was looking for some advice on what to use initially.

(*for the decay methods, I’ve been trying no-decay or small decay as the efforts haven’t been high recently and my first race will be in May)

If I import power and derived data from November onwards - with small decay. I get threshold around 185W and lower threshold around 140W.

If I include strava derived data going back to Jan 2019 with small decay, threshold is 181w and lower is 131w.

For the same data but no decay, threshold is 190w but lower is 170w.

My biggest concern is the variation in the lower threshold from 130w (72% of threshold) to 170w (89% of threshold).

What do you think would be the best way to set things up initially and what data should i use or loose?

Thanks,
S

Hi

Not 100% sure how to do it, but maybe try importing all data with optimal decay, then set to no decay from the breakthrough test you did in November?

Support can advise but at a guess I’d say recalculate the whole progression with optimal decay, then switch to no decay, go to your breakthrough effort in November and lock it…?

Wes

1 Like

Thanks - I didn’t realise locking activities worked that way. I’ve given that a go and the numbers looks OK - depressingly low, but correct :wink: