100% TP for more than an hour in workout creator?

Yes, Xert is certainly a step (or few) ahead of everyone else. I was more stating I find it somewhat difficult to figure out how to get what I’m looking for sometimes even though I know the information is here somewhere (maybe not exposed). For example I was just trying to figure out at what power level would be for my max fat burn as I have a theory that training up that system might be key (why base miles are so important). Ultimately I decided to do 20 min sessions at various power levels in the area I think it would be and reproduce my curve.

This projection many hours into a ride would certainly be a holly grail. The only reason for my disappointment is that I thought that was what Xert was advertising (almost but not quite). I think you have the understanding necessary to model the best case (upper limit) which would fix the glaring 4 hour at TP issue, but yes I agree truly accurate modeling would be near impossible as the variables would be beyond manageable.

Btw, found that Morton review I’ll give it a thorough read, thanks.

Are you following XATA recommendations for most workouts/rides or creating your own workouts from scratch using the designer?

Well, I’ve only had a power meter a little over a week and this whole lockdown thing has really messed up my schedule (I have kids now home while I try to work from home as well) so I haven’t really gotten the chance to do a XATA recommended workout or any of them in the player for that matter. I’m on a trial (which ends in a few hours) so can’t actually do a created workout, but it lets me play with the designer.

I did my little 20 min sessioning and found my burn max is about 185 watts (275TP/208LTP). Interestingly, I have a humon hex and 185 watts is about the threshold between a steady SpO2 and where it will start to dip (then stabilize, the downward trend starts at TP) . That’s another subject I’d love to explore more - muscle oxygen (and lactate).

Until this corona mess clears up I’m stuck indoors and time crunched so I think I’ll mostly spin there at 185 watts (which is a power level I can do things like watch serious shows and even read or work a little) with the occasional intervals to avoid degradation. Trial will expire for now, but I’m sure I’ll be back as a nerd needs his data :wink: I’m not sure if I’ll be locked out of this forum or not. I’ll find out soon.

There is no reason why you would - or should - be locked out. A forum typically is not dependent on its members being paid subscribers.

Speaking of which and in light of this corona mess, maybe now is a good time for Xert to follow others and extend the duration of the trial period.

All the more reasons to you start your subscription and gather weeks and weeks of power data following RECOMMENDED workouts based on your selected rider type and current IR (hours available per week).
I think you went off track as soon as you started to play with the workout designer. IMO that is an advanced feature for those familiar with structured intervals and power based training.
The core functionality of Xert is XATA using the library of curated (tried and true) workouts.
Try it and see. $10/mo; cancel at any time.

2 Likes

We’ll see how this Corona situation goes - time is extremely tight right now. That and my original lack of power meter did essentially ruin my trial. The reason I started tinkering was that my stats were way off due to the lack of good power data (235 TP 430 PP when I’m 275 TP and 1050 PP) so I wanted to figure out how to best correct it. I know this clashes with the no testing message, but it is necessary to test in situations like mine so I’d suggest including one in the trial.

Anyways, the current situation is (hopefully) temporary. Time to focus on what’s really important and get through it best we can. Stay safe and as best you can healthy!

2 Likes

Ok, I mostly understand this “3 tank model” now. Xert sounds roughly based on this in ideas but I’m thinking the model for a workout is actually the simpler 2 tank system (which would be doable to calculate on the fly in something like a garmin data field). As the lactic “tank” empties TP should trend towards LTP which doesn’t seem to happen in the projection, but does in real life so this makes a lot of sense to me.

For the 3 tank system I’d think more variables are needed. LTP (max from oxidative and constant assuming proper nutrition), TP (max from oxidative + lactic which will drop as lactic capacity is depleted), HIE (Phosphagen capacity), and a new one: EIE (Endurance Intensity Energy which is lactic capacity). I’m a software engineer by trade and thinking that modeling this would not be easy…