Let's See Your BREAKTHROUGHS! šŸ’„

Thatā€™s also the one I do when I need to refresh my signature, and, yeah, for at least 3 years now. I did it 4 days ago, it gave me 295W TP. Now, Iā€™m starting (again) a 4 weeks ā€œFLPā€ plan, with Seilerā€™s 4x8 workouts, and on my first day, yesterday, I could only do 280ish W intervals. In January, I did that test twice, once before and once after another FLP plan where I improved my results from about 270 to 290W, yet the tests gave me again 296W and 295W.

Two hypotheses:

• Iā€™m better at managing short intervals when Iā€™m working out indoors ( = I suck at long intense intervals). I remember that I also did that test in August and September 2019 - outdoors - with 298W and 297W, and back then, I was quite able to do the workouts outdoors with long intense intervals.
  • Iā€™ve been training too much on short intervals during this Winter, so I get better results on that kind of test because it focuses on short intervals.

Armando told me that there might be an inconsistency with the power data from my power-meter on short spiky intervals, but Iā€™m confident that my power-meters are credible.
Iā€™m also pushing my data on intervals.icu; and from the test I did last Tuesday, it rewarded me with a 266W TP. Waaaaay lower than the estimation from Xert, but it confirms that my Seilerā€™s 4x8 workouts should be with intervals at about 280W (106% of 266, thatā€™s 282W).

Todayā€™s effort:

Went hard up one of the local hills with the intention of doing a set but just wasnā€™t feeling it so headed out for a longer ride and the legs started to get going. Still not brilliant but did manage a small breakthrough. Thought I was going to run out of hillā€¦

Quite pleased with the difficulty score too.

Mike

1 Like

I managed this yesterday - not been doing any max power efforts recently hence the +93 in peak power. This was in erg mode.

Iā€™m currently evaluating Xert alongside a Sufferfest training plan and Xert looks like a perfect match to my use case. Post lockdown Iā€™ll be back to commuting by bike 5 days a week and a structured/inflexible plan will not really work for me.

4 Likes

Can anyone explain what happened?

Hi @Woolftirol, great breakthrough!

This can happen when the starting signature is quite a bit lower then the resulting signature. You can ā€˜helpā€™ the system out a bit by going to the ā€˜Advanced MPAā€™ tab, increasing Threshold Power closer to where you think it might be and then clicking the ā€˜Extractā€™ button to see if Xert is able to extract the new signature. If successful, you can save the resulting signature. PM me or send a note to support team and myself or someone else will be able to assist you with this!

Cheers!

Thanks, it worksšŸ˜Š

Breakthrough during a Strava PR. Wanted to have a good signature before starting Base, Build, Peak again.

Had a near breakthrough on an already decayed signature the other day. Needed a reset before starting my next block, came into this pretty fresh as Iā€™m at the end of a rest week. Think things are going to get a bit harder!

1 Like

Another one with the old favourite in slope mode, with a second kick after the first ā€˜failureā€™.

Have been on no decay for the last month (in fact many months) despite being in build phase, so pretty happy with the bump in signature - always good to outperform Xertā€™s predictions which were already a few watts above the last BT. Interesting that HIE went down a touch despite going through buildā€¦ but looking at how focus changed over the month (didnā€™t dramatically shorten as I still do some intensity in base phase) I guess itā€™s no surpriseā€¦

2 Likes

Signature update day. Recovering from burnout (Xmas break :slight_smile:)

Pretty happy that after 4 month XERT was not that far off. The bad news is that still have quite a bit to recover.

1 Like

This one came the day after doing a Zwift FTP ramp test. I knew I was thrashing in my crit, but didnā€™t expect a BT so I was pleased to get it.

Iā€™m still getting dialed in. One challenge is that most of my breakthroughs are on hills, and I think my power drops off a bit more abruptly than Xert is expecting when I crest a hill.

Today I did two laps of a hill without letting my MPA fully recover between laps. I felt like I was about at my limit at the end of the first lap, but the graph is showing that I was actually pretty far from MPA.

I imagine this is more a matter of technique more than a miscalibrated signature, but any tips would be appreciated.

More details if anyone is curious: https://www.xertonline.com/activities/gc0udvkwu0cdkjl6

Based on the difficulty score, I bet you could still get a few more watts out of your threshold power! But great work!!

Funny you should say thatā€¦this was four days later

Iā€™m up 78 watts in 18 weeks, so I canā€™t complain about that. I know that rate of improvement wonā€™t last forever but Iā€™m sure enjoying it and glad I have Xert to help guide the process.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a bit sad, that I didnā€™t manage to get a gold BT once again. But Iā€™m very happy about the increase in PP, especially on the trainer. TP seems to be about right I think.

This marks the end of my first training block with Xert - TED was set to April 3rd. Although a lot of it were probably still newbie-gains, Iā€™m very pleased with the results.

1 Like

Great work @ridethatbike! Keep it up! :smiley:

No worries @RideBert, a Gold BT is very tough to achieve! Sometimes its best to take the maximum gains where you can - a 73 W bump to Peak Power is no joke!

1 Like

Hello again everyone!

Want to add your own breakthrough to the this list? Try your hands at a Breakthrough Workout and join the Xert OPEN Breakthrough Session next week Friday at 0600 EDT (1200 CEST)! Iā€™ll be riding this one too - Iā€™m already looking forward to it!

We are going to be doing a workout inspired by French Physiologist & Researcher Dr. VĆ©ronique Billat, which will feature nearly 30 min of SLOPE mode 30/30s intervals:

The idea is to slowly drain your HIE with the short, high power intervals and finally push for a Breakthrough on the last couple of intervals! Bring your friends - these breakthrough sessions become more fun as more people join!

3 Sets of 5 by 30/30 @ 400 XSSR done in Slope Mode @ 2.5%. Got a nice bump in HIE and TP.

1 Like

Nice ride outside after a week of rest (forced by minor injury). Got a gold one as a result. Seems to make sense to rest sometimes :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been doing Base with no hard efforts, but did a gun group ride today. Got one going up a hill. However, does ā€œNo Decayā€ during base affect breakthoughs. Iā€™m happy overall to see a bump.

1 Like